Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ndL

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by ndL »

shut up, what the hell is captcha ?

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

I thought you said you'd read the announcement.....?

Captcha is the visual confirmation on registration used to confuse spambots.
It doesn't seem to be as effective as they hoped so they're going to make some changes.

I'd like to hope they're going to include something along the lines of the VIP MOD which is extremely effective in phpBB2. Something where you can configure a question with a very specific answer and where you can change the wording very easily meaning the bots don't get the same 'question' so they can't learn how to 'answer' it.

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

ndL wrote: stop spaming with those nonsense posts about bertie, honey and stuff, who cares? we just want news about the olimpus developement and other not stupid thoughts about rc1 etc

C'mon guy, don't be hot like tobasco. :lol: You can't say 'we just want news...' if 'we' include people talking about bertie, honey and other stuff too. ;)
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

so I guess that RC1 will be called "the Bertie edition" :D

alex_extreme

Post by alex_extreme »

ndL wrote: stop spaming with those nonsense posts about bertie, honey and stuff, who cares? we just want news about the olimpus developement and other not stupid thoughts about rc1 etc

Maybe it would be good to stop acting like a 5 year old? We're all waiting for RC1 to be released, but you don't have the right to tell people not to make the wait fun...
Hello

Gideon5L2F

Post by Gideon5L2F »

Bertie keeps us all sane. :P

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Kevin Clark wrote: I thought you said you'd read the announcement.....?

Captcha is the visual confirmation on registration used to confuse spambots.
It doesn't seem to be as effective as they hoped so they're going to make some changes.

I'd like to hope they're going to include something along the lines of the VIP MOD which is extremely effective in phpBB2. Something where you can configure a question with a very specific answer and where you can change the wording very easily meaning the bots don't get the same 'question' so they can't learn how to 'answer' it.

I agree with you Kevin about the VIP Mod, I can't believe its not validated yet. I didn't know it existed until a post you made mentioned it, so thanks for that! I have about 5 phpBB2 forums and spambots were driving me mad. At least 10 day on each forum, VIP mod installed 6 days ago and not one on any forum.
Really think it would be a great addition to phpBB3 and seemingly a very simple code, I mean it must be simple if I could understand it!
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

The thing is, you can’t discuss phpBB3 without including Bertie and his honey somewhere in it.
He’s the official mascot, and partner to the head of phpBB now: SHS`
So Bertie is like the Lord of Olympus... that’s just the way it is, and you’ll notice some people have mysteriously disappeared when they have contradicted the great Bertie.
So please don’t take him too lightly... he’s a lot more powerful than he appears.

As for the CAPTCHA, I would like to think they are going with a more automatic, non-visible solution... i.e. no questions.
But a more advanced method of verifying (using hidden elements to humans) the authenticity of the registration.
There are ways to do it, but I’m anxious to see what they come up with.

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

Is this post nr. 1000 in this topic? :lol:
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)