Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
tffnguy

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by tffnguy »

As long as there is a way for links to be spidered through forums there will be spambots using them. I think setting up phpBB3 to where the latest user isn't displayed until their account is activated was a giant step in helping stop the spambots. Problem is though as long as there is a Member's list that can be spidered and or curious users can check out then the spambots will keep trying to register. Who in their right mind is going to look through the members list of thousands anyway? The way I see it all that is good for is to invite spammers and spambots. It would be real nice if there were a way to configure the software not to show a link to the member's list. I'm not likely to go from 2 to 3 until I can figure out a way to remove it.

I don't think the people writing the spambots give a flip whether the accounts are activated or not they just want the links to be seen and spidered. Cut off any chance of that and then what can they do. I'm to the point now where I'm thinking of going to a system where new members have to be sponsored by old members (referral) . I'd hate to do that, but better that than constantly having to try to figure out who should be allowed access and who shouldn't.
Plano, Texas

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper »

I do really like the thing of a simple question & answer way, though I would like to add, maybe a variable with a number set by the forum of multiple questions. It's a futher way to confuse bots.

On a sidenote, I guess it isn't strong enough when like this one got though.

camweh

Post by camweh »

I wondered why that was getting the hits - not a good move :roll:
Hugh in Oz

ndL

Post by ndL »

so quiet today here

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

ImTheMan wrote: and how will new visitors to the forum who wants to register get that code?

You can have it on the main page where human visitors can read it, or you can put the code on a jpg file and have a link in the registration field to get them the code. All of which you would need a human person to do, not a bot
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

we wait catpach :mrgreen:

cornnfedd

Post by cornnfedd »

sorry joined the bandwagon about 12 months ago in excitement thinking it cant be too long (yes i have used and previous used phpbb before this) but no am just still waiting and waiting, people are now getting frustrated as i cannot wait until 2056 for RC1 to come out...

/ end rant :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

Look at my join date. That's when I joined, "thinking it can't be too long". I have now reached a state of zen where I can say that yes, I can wait until 2056. Actually I am convinced that this is when it will actually be released (the Gold version, RC1 might come a little sooner fingers crossed).
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

camweh

Post by camweh »

NeilUK wrote: You can have it on the main page where human visitors can read it, or you can put the code on a jpg file and have a link in the registration field to get them the code. All of which you would need a human person to do, not a bot

Another way I used was to direct new members to the bottom of the registration page (Why lose them sending them elsewhere) ask them to quote something at the bottom of the registration page which is already there. ;)
Hugh in Oz

marosell

Post by marosell »

ndL wrote: so quiet today here

It's the "calm before the storm" 8O.

don't you just love the automatic quote buttons? testing out the color box, it hides and works awesomely