Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
MasterZ

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by MasterZ »

or another option, show multiple pictures, say 12, each with a radio button underneath, and then have a statement like "Select the Tiger", then you click the tiger picture and you are in.

You could have thousands of pictures that are tied to a select statement. So a field is selected from the database, the associated picture is loaded, then grab 11 other images and jumble them up so the right answer isn't always in the same spot. Seems pretty simple.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

MasterZ wrote: or another option, show multiple pictures, say 12, each with a radio button underneath, and then have a statement like "Select the Tiger", then you click the tiger picture and you are in.

You could have thousands of pictures that are tied to a select statement. So a field is selected from the database, the associated picture is loaded, then grab 11 other images and jumble them up so the right answer isn't always in the same spot. Seems pretty simple.

Such games seem a good idea in theory, but all these things would cease to be effective shortly after getting introduced into a major product. For instance, 12 pictures means a 1/12-tht chance of getting it right; that's enough for a bot. To make matters worse, the software would need a default set of images or questions - you can rest assured that bots would know all of those in a matter of days.
Many things things are effective on individual boards, few - if any - if included in a popular product.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Like i've said before the simplest and most effective way is a 6 or 7 digit code. The different combinations of which would be almost endless, extremley difficult for a bot to get right. Just random numbers, you could even embed an image and put a link in the registration profile. Something like
Whats the code?
Click here for code, then a link to the image. Someone did this for the VIP mod and its extrememly effective. The VIP mod is the only mod that worked on my phpBB2 forums. I went from between 10 to 20 spam registration a day to 0 in what is now 2 weeks across four forums
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

NeilUK wrote: Like i've said before the simplest and most effective way is a 6 or 7 digit code. The different combinations of which would be almost endless, extremley difficult for a bot to get right. Just random numbers, you could even embed an image and put a link in the registration profile. Something like
Whats the code?
Click here for code, then a link to the image. Someone did this for the VIP mod and its extrememly effective. The VIP mod is the only mod that worked on my phpBB2 forums. I went from between 10 to 20 spam registration a day to 0 in what is now 2 weeks across four forums

That's exactly what we are doing right now. It doesn't matter if the picture is one the same page or on a linked one.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

I saw a nice one earlier, after hte activation link was sent to your email, an activation code was sent also, and after clicking the link you have to enter the code from the email.

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper »

Although that would work for a short while, if it became mainstream, it would become like the captcha and be compromised by the bots quickly.

The best way is still indivuality with forums. The captchan will eventually like everything else be found out on how to defeat it. I feel it's more of a continuous problem how to defeat them without them actually having the ability to catch up with the captcha. Maybe along with the captcha an optional question/answer could be set by admins.

thespirit

Post by thespirit »

If everyone is so paranoid about a "default" anti-spam option being compromised because it's included in the major release, then why not just remove ALL anti-spam options and allow people to just mod their own?

At this point, if captcha is the only option, I'll be rolling my own anyway.

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper »

thespirit wrote: If everyone is so paranoid about a "default" anti-spam option being compromised because it's included in the major release, then why not just remove ALL anti-spam options and allow people to just mod their own?
It's due to we want a system whereby people don't have to mod the software to be able to get the best protection from those scam of the earth things. Many people don't like modding their forums as either they don't know how, or it's an active board in which they don't want to risk stuffing it up.

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Kellanved has already said that they are including a version of the VIP mod, so whats to worry about?
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

oldlock

Post by oldlock »

NeilUK wrote: Kellanved has already said that they are including a version of the VIP mod, so whats to worry about?

Is that in the CVS yet ?