phpBB3 fate is same as that of Windows Vista!!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
coolmob

phpBB3 fate is same as that of Windows Vista!!

Post by coolmob »

I just cant help finding the similarities between the fate of phpBB3 and Microsoft Windows Vista!!!!

Let's See

First -
windows vista was supposed to be a medium upgrade to windows XP, but half way microsoft decided to make it a full fledged major upgrade and adding Tons of features.

phpBB3 was earlier supposed to be phpBB2.5!! a medium upgrade to phpBB2, but half way through its development the makers changed course and decided to make it a full featured major upgrade.

Second
the last version of windows, Windows XP was released around 5-6 years ago.

the last version of phpBB, phpBB2 was released around 5 years ago and by the time phpBB3 comes it'll be almost 6 years.

Third
During Windows Vista's development the windows division at microsoft went through a lot of change - some people were fired, some transfered to diff divisions. most of these resulted because of vista

During phpBB3's devlopment there were major changes in the development team.

Fourth
The public is almost devided on windows vista. they either love it or hate it!! Most want to still stick with windows XP

the same is the case with phpbb3. some people just wanna stick with phpbb2.
(at least from what i have read)

Fifth
no matter how much people hate vista, they will be using it sometime in the future - either when they buy a new computer or whatever other reasons

again, no matter how people react to phpbb3, they will use it in future after development of phpbb2 is stopped
(but no need to worry, phpbb2 will be maintained for quite some time after phpbb3's release)

Well thats what i can think of.
If you can find more, Post your replies!!!

RBH

Re: phpBB3 fate is same as that of Windows Vista!!

Post by RBH »

/me cracks knuckles
coolmob wrote: First -
windows vista was supposed to be a medium upgrade to windows XP, but half way microsoft decided to make it a full fledged major upgrade and adding Tons of features.

phpBB3 was earlier supposed to be phpBB2.5!! a medium upgrade to phpBB2, but half way through its development the makers changed course and decided to make it a full featured major upgrade.

AFAIK, the feature list of phpBB3 didn't suddenly explode, they just thought the extent of work involved warranted the new release being a major rather than a minor.
coolmob wrote: Third
During Windows Vista's development the windows division at microsoft went through a lot of change - some people were fired, some transfered to diff divisions. most of these resulted because of vista

During phpBB3's devlopment there were major changes in the development team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only major change I can think of is psoTFX's departure.
coolmob wrote: Fifth
no matter how much people hate vista, they will be using it sometime in the future - either when they buy a new computer or whatever other reasons

again, no matter how people react to phpbb3, they will use it in future after development of phpbb2 is stopped
(but no need to worry, phpbb2 will be maintained for quite some time after phpbb3's release)

This is hardly limited to phpBB and Windows. You may as well compare it to smallpox - work on that has pretty much stopped too ...

I think you're scraping the barrel a bit :)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

your fifth one is flawed. phpBB2 isn't ( as in the current stable version running on phpbb.com/phpBB ) being developped. just bug fixes..

but there is one MAJOR difference: phpBB3 is not resource-heavy, as Vista on the other hand..

aside from that I can only say a few things... 'Holy crosses, and lot's of garlic!'

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

you also forget a few things.

phpBB is developed completly on vulentairy basis. Vista is made by developers that are paid doing the dev on it.

phpBB is free on the other hand vista will cost somewhere a spare wheel for a car and a kidney

edit: forgot to mention that phpBB isnt made by microcr@p :P
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

The error that stood out to me most:
phpBB3 was earlier supposed to be phpBB2.5!!

We use the Linux Kernel method of version numbering. phpBB 3 was never going to be 2.5. The original intention was for it to be released as v2.2. But when it was realised that there would be no backward compatibility with MOD's and such, and it was an entirely different codebase it was changed to v3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kern ... _numbering
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=256072
Customisations Team

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

Yohoooo .. Welcome to Developers Den .. All the stages you explained (comparing Vista and phpBB :roll: ) point to same thing .. Thats how softwares are developed .. if they require kernel (core) changes, the version system changes .. Try looking around vB, LINUX, MAC, you'll see loads of them having similar stages oops .. fate ;)

theBlackDragon

Post by theBlackDragon »

phpBB3 is actually an improvement over the last version (if I may put it so mildly) while Vista is not (unless you call the nice new look, the pricing and the awful system requirements "improvements" of course).

People will use Vista because:
  • They're too lazy to learn how to use another Operating System (Mac OS, userfriendly Linux distributions like Mandrake or SuSE)
  • They get it with a new PC and just put up with the suckage (hey, they've been putting up with it since Windows 95, why not another 6 years?)
  • They have to use it at their jobs
  • They actually like it (guess it's possible)
  • Some other reason
The majority of the people that don't like phpBB3 otoh will just switch to other forum software, keep on using phpBB2 or maybe will upgrade to phpBB3 although they dislike it but because it's less bad than the alternatives.

RBH

Post by RBH »

theBlackDragon wrote: People will use Vista because:
  • They're too lazy to learn how to use another Operating System (Mac OS, userfriendly Linux distributions like Mandrake or SuSE)
  • They get it with a new PC and just put up with the suckage (hey, they've been putting up with it since Windows 95, why not another 6 years?)
  • Some other reason

DirectX 10? 64bit apps written solely for Windows?

I don't plan on migrating to Vista for a good while yet, but I have no doubt that I'll be forced to in order to use programs that I like, and it'll be nothing to do with lazyness.

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

Not only are there similarities with the development of Vista, for those aviation enthusiasts out there, look at the Airbus A350XWB, phpBB3 and Vista are almost exactly like it too.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

theBlackDragon wrote:

phpBB3 is actually an improvement over the last version (if I may put it so mildly) while Vista is not (unless you call the nice new look, the pricing and the awful system requirements "improvements" of course).

People will use Vista because:
  • Some other reason
The majority of the people that don't like phpBB3 otoh will just switch to other forum software, keep on using phpBB2 or maybe will upgrade to phpBB3 although they dislike it but because it's less bad than the alternatives.

WIndows is also mostly used, because most of the software is developt for this platform.
On the web we see a bit of the same *cough*Internet Explorer*cough*...
It is crap(my opinion though as I know there are people who 'like' it), but still we have to deal with it because the majority uses it, which is the reason most sites are optimised for it.
Windows -> majority uses it, therefore everyone makes the software for it.
DoubleJ - Blah