BETA4 from the get-go?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TGI-ECT

BETA4 from the get-go?

Post by TGI-ECT »

I'm starting a new site. First time to own a site, but have been a user admin on a non-phpBB site and am a user admin on a phpBB modified site. As an owner, a newbie. Knowledge of web building, programming, etc. is zero.

Would you think me nuts for going with BETA4 from the get-go?

My thoughts are that if I'm going to learn how to do this I might as well start with a new release. Do I really need to learn a tried and true release first, or can I just go for this new one?

BETA4, version 3 must have advantages over version 2, yes?

Oh well, any thoughts?

Thank you.

Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". And it's pronounced "ekt".

zzDrew

Re: BETA4 from the get-go?

Post by zzDrew »

If u are speaking strictly from a testing board standpoint, sure why not use phpBB3 :) . If you are talking about puting up a live-environment, it is strictly suggested not to use a Beta to do that.

From the standpoint of using BETA4 from the get-go as a testing / learning environment, I suggest you cruise around here and learn about how some things work before you dive right in. If you have never owned even a phpBB2 board, I don't think it will really be a problem. Obviously you wont notice difference not having previous experience administrating a phpBB board. If you dive right in without even a little guidance on how permissions work for instance, I think you'll find yourself lost fairly quickly. There is a great collection of information on how to use most of the features of phpBB3.

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT »

Thank you for the response, zzDrew.

I am thinking of using the BETA live. The version 3 has been worked on now for about 4 or 5 years, yes. It should be just about well-done, eh? Anyway, medium-well tastes better, no? And mine will be a new site so I can post an announcement of what I'm doing and explain that we will all get used to the "new" format together and to expect some trouble from time to time.

You don't think that would work?

For one thing, it seems it would create a more inclusive, sharing, learning environment with the forumers and forumites. Or is that fora/fori members?

Who needs this "the admin is God here" attitude on a forum?

As for the administration part of it, how much difference can there be from the work I've been doing already as a user admin? I've created "forums" (is that the right choice of vocab?), blocked User ID names, banned members, banned IP addresses, enabled moderators, and all manner of other admin chores. Wouldn't that be pretty good OJT in itself?

I will obviously do as much homework as I can, note the reading of the Latin lessons I found while studying. I'm thinking, though, that one needs to eventually get-to-it.

Just a bunch of wondering. Hope you don't mind my picking your brain. Maybe someday I can be of some help to you. Need some Trash 80 circuit boards?

Oh yes, MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS if Xmas ain't your bag.

But be SMART to be SAFE!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

DO NOT run phpBB3 Beta Live unless you are an expert programmer, but even if you are, it's still not smart.

If you need to setup your site right away, go with 2.0.21 and don't install any MODs, then once Gold is released, you can upgrade your forum fairly easily to phpBB3
phpBB3 Beta is NOT for the inexperienced coder or faint of heart.
Even some of us experts have learned a few lessons. :|

If you decide you need to setup a forum right away, and go with 2.0.21, you might also (if capable) want to install a phpBB3 private testing board for yourself so you can start getting used to how it works, and most importantly, the permissions system, which should take you a good long while to get the hang of. :D

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT »

Ah, those upper case letters do work, don't they?

DO NOT!

I've run across many examples on the boards where your opinions, Highway of Life, were highly valued and/or sought after, so I guess I've got to pay attention.

I love challenges, but I suppose this would be a bit much, eh?

I think I've got the message.

Not that I was doubting your word, zzDrew, but two's the charm, yes?

Another MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you, Highway of Life. You keep yourself and your loved ones safe, okay?

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT »

Highway of Life wrote: Even some of us experts have learned a few lessons.

Any chance the "egg" thing was one of those lessons?

Highway of Life

TGI-ECT wrote: Another MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you, Highway of Life. You keep yourself and your loved ones safe, okay? .
thanks TGI!
Merry Christmas to you as well. :D

I know it would be a challenge, but I just don't want to see "another" person go through what I've already seen a few go through... they go with Olympus Live, and don't know enough about either phpBB or PHP itself to dig themselves out of a hole they might find themselves in, mostly due to upgrades, but also sometimes due to bugs or server restrictions causing errors that they were not able to deal with.
Myself, and our developers only have so much time on our hands, and we have limitations when trying to help those who don't understand code... it gets pretty difficult, so just a word to the wise... don't do it... yet... it will be an awesome system when it goes Gold. :D
Even though I have learned some "lessons", if I had it to do over again, I would have done it... but I don't recommend anybody else try it. :D

"egg"??

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT »

The discussion of the "easter egg", which I couldn't actually find an image of.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10610

But you'll have to excuse me. I just took a second look and see you didn't post on that thread. Sorry about that.

Highway of Life

OH! haha! :lol: Wow, yes.. that was a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago
I was not active here in 02 ;)

I was specifically referring to changes made to the BBCode engine... trying to upgrade "past" that point is/was interesting...
Area51 was in errors for almost a week in that stage... and that with the Devs here full time.
I don't think anything like that will happen again, but my foot could very quickly land in my mouth at a moments CVS commit. :D

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Highway of Life wrote: OH! haha! :lol: Wow, yes.. that was a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago
I was not active here in 02 ;)

I was specifically referring to changes made to the BBCode engine... trying to upgrade "past" that point is/was interesting...
Area51 was in errors for almost a week in that stage... and that with the Devs here full time.
I don't think anything like that will happen again, but my foot could very quickly land in my mouth at a moments CVS commit. :D

Hehe, that's what I call the Beta 2 barrier :)
I had been upgrading my forum daily so we could find bugs and report them.
I did that until about a week or two before Beta 2... whenever they changed the bbcode system.

And let me say... I'm sooooooooo happy with the changes they made to the bbcode system... the Beta 1 system would only allow you to create about 12 custom bbcodes.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply