Unlimited subforms? I wonder what that means.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Bob H

Unlimited subforms? I wonder what that means.

Post by Bob H »

The main feature page lists unlimited subforums as a new feature for Olympus. phpBB 2 has subforums, but they are limited to one level of subforums. With "unlimited" subforums, will you be able to have subforums within subforums?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Re: Unlimited subforms? I wonder what that means.

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

phpBB 2 does not have subforums.

If you want to see how phpBB 3 does it, try the testing forum: viewforum.php?f=7

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: phpBB 2 does not have subforums.

There is a MOD that supports subforums, but it is limited to one level of subforums(ie. a subforum cannot exist within another subforum).
Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: If you want to see how phpBB 3 does it, try the testing forum: viewforum.php?f=7

Actually, I have tried it. It demonstrates the same limitation.

When I read the list of features, the use of the word "unlimited" made me think that you could have a subforum within a subforum. vBulletin allows such a situation. I was wondering in what context, the word "unlimited" is used.

GTNS

Post by GTNS »

But no. In phpBB 3 you can have really an unlimited numbers of subforums within other subforums. :)
Thank you for reading my post! ;)

I love Olympus and I can't wait for the final version :D!

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Bob H wrote: When I read the list of features, the use of the word "unlimited" made me think that you could have a subforum within a subforum. vBulletin allows such a situation. I was wondering in what context, the word "unlimited" is used.

And this is the situation with phpBB too; you can have subforums within subforums within subforums etc. However, you really shouldn't abuse that. ;-)
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

GTNS wrote: But no. In phpBB 3 you can have really an unlimited numbers of subforums within other subforums. :)
YIPPEE!!!!!Image

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

try checking the subforum testing on the main page, and you would have seen this, and this only SubForum mod i know of is Categories Heiarchy and it supports the same way phpBB 3 does.
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

itunes66 wrote: try checking the subforum testing on the main page, and you would have seen this, and this only SubForum mod i know of is Categories Heiarchy and it supports the same way phpBB 3 does.

There are more sub-forum mods than just the CH mod for phpBB2, the simple sub-forums mod he refers to does only allow one level deep (hence its simple).

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

i dont remeber this mod too much, hmmm... i had heard of it before but i searched and found no results in the Mod DB. ok well im sorry for that, but as i said just check the test foums and you would have seen, as i think there is a sub-sub-sub forum on the test site, is there not?
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

itunes66 wrote: ias i think there is a sub-sub-sub forum on the test site, is there not?

Yep :)