What's next?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
RBH

What's next?

Post by RBH »

Are we now waiting for Beta 4, or RC1? Or has this not been decided yet?

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere.

John Hjorth

Re: What's next?

Post by John Hjorth »

CVS commit comment from Acyd Burn 12th November 2006 :
After tagging we increase the version number to b4-dev to be able to properly go to b4 or rc1.

Please note the "or". I don't think anybody ATM can come closer to an answer.

binside

Post by binside »

The big question for me is... Did the devs actually finish all the code or there are still unfinished parts.
Because looking at the bug tracker i can say it is stable enough.
I mean I remember what happened after the previous beta releases. The news for a beta probably makes it more tested and usually the first week after every beta the bug tracker was always full of new bugs. This time nothing like that happened.

Now they are 22 only /the reported bugs I mean/.

So if all the code is completed... Maybe RC1 is next :roll:

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

You can't by logic conclude this about "full bug tracker" or not - that totally depends on the work done by the dev. team, you need to look at the "flow" in the bugs in stead.

The rest is pure speculation, that brings you nowhere based on logical argumentation and facts.

code reader

Post by code reader »

as every software developer knows, empty in-basket of bug reports does not mean the software is clean, nor does it mean the devs are busy, it really means the testers are slacking.
off to works, fellas!

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

code reader wrote: as every software developer knows, empty in-basket of bug reports does not mean the software is clean, nor does it mean the devs are busy, it really means the testers are slacking.
off to works, fellas!

Is it that unlikely that the code may actually be (near) bug-free?

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

No.

The more I think of it, I can only come up with one argument based on some kind of logic, and that is an argument for that next version will be a Beta 4 :

Can you imagine the next version to be RC1 without a testing phase for the updater based on Beta release ? - Personally, I can not.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Beta 4 or RC1 faster than we did Beta 3.

It seems like all the bugs coming up are fixed right away, or not even bugs. I see tons get closed right away every day..

code reader

Post by code reader »

DanoruX wrote: Is it that unlikely that the code may actually be (near) bug-free?
a bug-free code is as close to oxymoron as you can get.
there is no doubt that olympus is nowhere near being bug-free. so much of the code is new, that it is as improbable as to be practically impossible.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

Bugs will always exist, no matter how secure you think it is, there will be some sort of security hole or glitch.