Question about upgrade script

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Glitched

Question about upgrade script

Post by Glitched »

Sorry if this has already been asked before, Ok so I know that the upgrade script wont transfer mods over to phpBB3 when you upgrade, So does that mean that if you have mods installed and upgrade will there be errors after the upgrade cause the mods don't get transfered over?? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
Eelke

Re: Question about upgrade script

Post by Eelke »

If there are no errors during the update (due to your mods having modified your database structure beyond something the updating script can understand), I wouldn't think there would be anything left for the actual forum software to trip over. In short, if you can get your biard upgraded, you're in the clear. Of course, no guarantees, but that would be by far the most likely, AFAICS.
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Since you need to replace all of your files (have them at the new forum location since the old files are needed to do the upgrade process) the new files do not have any mod-specific code included of course.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Acyd Burn wrote: Since you need to replace all of your files (have them at the new forum location since the old files are needed to do the upgrade process) the new files do not have any mod-specific code included of course.
I think they're referring to mods that require DB alterations.  
Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

The only mod that should be able to be transferred is attachments, and you can probably create a script to transfer Birthdays if you have it.
danielles

Post by danielles »

My personal opinion would be to uninstall any and all upgrade is feasable and then do the upgrade. Many mods are most likely being worked on even if they're authors have not mentioned it and will be releasing new version shortly after the release of phpbb...
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Unless a certain mod has altered the meaning of standard database fields, there's really no need to uninstall any mods; their data will simply be ignored when upgrading.
cutaia

Post by cutaia »

I've been wondering about this too. I know alot of my mods have made SQL changes, but I'm not sure what. Is it possible to have the upgrade script delete any unneeded tables and whatnot. Or will there be a list of the PHPBB3.0 tables so we can go through and manually delete?

I can't wait until it comes out so all the questions can finally be answered. :)
Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php#converters" target="_blank

Will the converter be based on the UCS that Ashe wrote for phpBB2.x? Or will it be a standalone product?

Thanks.. Yawnster