Transfer Posts/Forums/Database from phpbb2 to phpbb3

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
muhaidib

Transfer Posts/Forums/Database from phpbb2 to phpbb3

Post by muhaidib »

hey there, I have a forum with around 100,000 posts in several forums

I have some mods in this forum but not too heavy (and I can live without them)

I have installed the beta 2 (on another domain, another site, another database to not get them mixed up), I installed it to get used to the control panel and all that

well the thing is, once the final release is out in a couple of months or so (no hurry) will I be able to transfer ALL posts, users, forums, from my current forum to the new one??

(PS. once the final version is out I will delete that other domain that i'm just testing on and install the final in the same domain as the busy one)

thanks

juul

Re: Transfer Posts/Forums/Database from phpbb2 to phpbb3

Post by juul »

muhaidib wrote: hey there, I have a forum with around 100,000 posts in several forums

I have some mods in this forum but not too heavy (and I can live without them)

I have installed the beta 2 (on another domain, another site, another database to not get them mixed up), I installed it to get used to the control panel and all that

well the thing is, once the final release is out in a couple of months or so (no hurry) will I be able to transfer ALL posts, users, forums, from my current forum to the new one??

(PS. once the final version is out I will delete that other domain that i'm just testing on and install the final in the same domain as the busy one)

thanks

Yes, when the V3.0 realease there is also an update script writen by the codders of this board ;)

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

Short answer : yes :)
The only fact that not allow the upgrade is to have a heavily modded board.

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

yes... you will be able to upgrade with no problems with exception of your mods... couse the board coding is different and the mods's coding will not be up to date...

muhaidib

Post by muhaidib »

perfect

but i guess that this update will ONLY import the needed table from the database, because as you know many mods create tables that are essensial for it to work with the 2.0.x version of the forum

but if phpBB3 imports all tables (including the mod's tables) than there might me some mix ups and the new forum,,,

or its gonna be ok?

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

of course its gonna be ok... the developers always think about that before creating an upgrader

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

If you have a mod that changes the table structure in such a way that it moves too far from vanilla phpBB 2.0, that may get you into trouble. Just adding columns to tables isn't a problem, nor is adding entire tables; at worst, the converter would simply ignore the data, although I still have some columns in my users table from an experiment I did way back in phpBB 1.4 days; the 1.x->2.x converter basically just copied over the data :) (I would have actually preferred if it dropped that data, but that's a minor issue not even worthy of the word issue, because I could just remove the table column if I just wasn't too lazy ;))

Trouble would start if a mod changes the meaning of default fields somehow. I can't really give any examples, though, maybe there are none.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

If there are heavily altered tables, you might need to do a roll-back on the mod before upgrading to 3.0.

Case

Post by Case »

Can anyone give examples of mods that heavily alter the tables?

I may have some installed but being a bit of a phpbb novice I wouldn't really know what is considered as "heavily altered".

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Eelke wrote: Trouble would start if a mod changes the meaning of default fields somehow.

That's what would qualify as heavily altered.
Eelke wrote: I can't really give any examples, though, maybe there are none.

That still applies ;)