custom forum images

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
aquarelle

Re: custom forum images

Post by aquarelle »

Finally I see what you mean. I thought that Forum Image thing had something to do with this. You're talking about where it says, "Forum Image: Location, relative to the phpBB root directory, of an image to associate with this forum."
I can't make that work, but it may be because I am not using the proper location. All it has done is take away the image I had already placed there through the Styles > Imagesets > Edit feature, and has replaced it with the wording, "No new posts." :roll:
I had thought that the Forum Image was an additional image that would be added to make the forum stand out with it's own decoration, but no, it just ruins whatever you have set up in your imageset.

Booooo! :mrgreen:

edit. duh, I had neglected to upload that image I was meaning to test. :) Yes, it makes an image. But it doesn't add an image to the one you could have already placed there via the imagesets edit feature, which was my own personal confusion in this mess. I apologize for that.

Now I see that yes, if you elect to have a different forum image for each forum and decide to use the Forum Image feature under the Forums Tab, rather than the imageset you have loaded for your style, then you will not be able to tell the difference between new/no new posts because there's no spot for two images.

That's the way I see it now. Give me a few more minutes and I may change my mind. :x
~aquarelle
dhn

Post by dhn »

Guys, the forum image is not meant to be used like this. If we actually did it like you proposed, you'd have to provide at least 4 images for each forum (if we forget about forum links and subforums for a second):

img_forum_read
img_forum_read_locked
img_forum_unread
img_forum_unread_locked

I can ask the developers whether they'll agree on adding an extra template variable for the custom forum image instead of overwriting the default read status. This way you could have your forum image and the read status but there won't be a feature where you can replace each forum image for each forum.
code reader

Post by code reader »

alternatively, you could use the custom forum images to augment the standard forum images instead of replacing them.
kind of like the avatars in viewtopic: they do not come instead of the group image, rank image, or online/offline status image.
if a user has an avatar, it's displayed in addition to all the above.
you could use the same logic for the custome forum images. just think about it as a "forum avatar".
just a thought.
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Yes, the cleanest solution would be to re-label the forum images set within the forum management page as an *additional* forum image and let the normal forum image indicators being able to be replaced within the styles/imageset management. But then users will of course moan about the inability to define different forum images (the imageset, not the additional image) for every forum... :)