Is the new style for phpBB fully complete?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Richy

Is the new style for phpBB fully complete?

Post by Richy »

Im just wondering, is the new style for phpBB fully complete. Beta 2 has taken a long time to come out, I mean isnt Beta supposed to mean all features and complete and its ready for 'testing'. I wouldve thought each Beta would take a maximum of one week and even shorter for Release Candidates.

As its taken so long, I was wondering is it the new style for phpBB which is holding you back? Or is the style fully complete? Could you give as an estimate on how Beta 1 is progressing and any idea when it should be released, or hoping for it to be released..

Please dont say "It'll be released when its released.." or "It'll be released when its ready..", these are childish answers. Im sure you are able to provide a rough rough estimate (even to nearest week) when it'll be released.

Anyways, thanks.
http://www.phpBBmods.net/ - phpBB 3 MOD Database

Lurttinen

Re: Is the new style for phpBB fully complete?

Post by Lurttinen »

Richy wrote: Please dont say "It'll be released when its released.." or "It'll be released when its ready..", these are childish answers. Im sure you are able to provide a rough rough estimate (even to nearest week) when it'll be released.

The only ones who are able to give you such estimate reliably are the ones who are the developers
And the word for that is. "It will be released when it's done."
They wont give you any estimates.

The new style wont be released untill the final version.
You wont see it in the betas or the RC's.

Nerull

Post by Nerull »

Richy wrote: Im just wondering, is the new style for phpBB fully complete. Beta 2 has taken a long time to come out, I mean isnt Beta supposed to mean all features and complete and its ready for 'testing'. I wouldve thought each Beta would take a maximum of one week and even shorter for Release Candidates.

If so, they would be the shortest beta cycles I've ever seen. Beta to release can take months.
As its taken so long, I was wondering is it the new style for phpBB which is holding you back? Or is the style fully complete? Could you give as an estimate on how Beta 1 is progressing and any idea when it should be released, or hoping for it to be released..

Please dont say "It'll be released when its released.." or "It'll be released when its ready..", these are childish answers. Im sure you are able to provide a rough rough estimate (even to nearest week) when it'll be released.

Anyways, thanks.

From what I've heard, the new style will be released with the full release version of Olympus. As for when that is done, 'when its ready' is the only answer there is.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

new style will be out when 3.0 comes out.

I'm sure it's close to being done, if not already done. they don't want to release it yet and all the complaining in the world won't make 'em.

Richy

Post by Richy »

The only ones who are able to give you such estimate reliably are the ones who are the developers

I did not once ask for a reliable estimate. My exact words were "a rough rough estimate".

Also, one week Betas are common. For example; vBulletin had around 1 week Beta 4 and 1 week RC 1 if I remember correctly for version 3.6.0.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Okay
    1. That is Beta4, not Beta1, or Beta2, etc...
    2. That is vBulletin, a paid for software. This is phpBB3, a 'free' (free as in open source, not as in Free Beer) software, we can not and should NOT compare the two.
      I think if Olympus goes all the way to Beta4 before going to RC1, that THAT beta cycle will be really, really short.
    3. We can not even give you a rough estimate, because if you have been around here long enough, you can tell that even those are impossible.
    4. We know that the new style will come out with Gold Release, not Betax, or RCx
    5. My question...
      Do the Devs know for sure that there will be no bugs with the new style? How are they going to wait as long as gold (past RCs)?

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

HoL: that's what 3.0.1 is for :p

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Richy wrote:
I did not once ask for a reliable estimate. My exact words were "a rough rough estimate".<snip>
Okay, then, the final version of phpBB 3.0 will be released probably... em... maybe... ah... perhaps... sometime in the second half of this year, or sometime in the first half of next year. So, based on how things have progressed so far with this project, it is safe to say that in all likelihood, phpBB 3.0 will be complete and released sometime within the next 11 months. But that's only a guess, and based on speculation...

Richy

Post by Richy »

Okay, then, the final version of phpBB 3.0 will be released probably... em... maybe... ah... perhaps... sometime in the second half of this year, or sometime in the first half of next year.

I'm sure it'll be complete alot sooner than that m8. It probably would be gold within a month or two I reckon.

Also, I reckon its completely stupid to release the new design on gold, as the person above me said. Theres going to be bugs, why dont release it when RC comes and by time its Gold, it really means "gold". It's almost bug-free and ready for use.

To me, the only reason not to release everything on RC, is that the style isnt complete yet...

SamG

Post by SamG »

There's been plenty of discussion over why the default style will not be released until final. That decision was made years ago.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood