A "newbie" user group

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Waleed

A "newbie" user group

Post by Waleed »

Hi,

Alot of forums have a problem with hit-and-run registrations -- right? People register, make two or three spam posts, email a bunch of regular members and cause great trouble.

With the permissions system of Olympus, it's possible to create a user group that, say, isn't allowed to have signatures, or avatars or send/recieve PM's. But the problem is, how to set it so that all new registrations are automatically added to this newbie-restricted usergroup? Make it the default group? But then all members would remain in this group even if they have millions of posts. We don't want everyone to be a newbie with restricted access. And to manually sort them out would be stupid

Also, we want to make it so that new members with less than, say, 5 posts have restricted access to forum features. So the idea is, a new member named...bart registers at some_phpbb_forum. He naturally has 0 posts and limited access -- he can't use PM, or avatars or sigs. He stays at the forum, makes regular posts and soon has 5 posts under his belt. Now, when he makes his sixth post, he is automatically removed from the newbie-restricted group, added to the regular-normal members group and now has access to PMs, avatars and signatures.

Is this possible? If not, wouldn't this be a good idea? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :P
Acyd Burn

Re: A "newbie" user group

Post by Acyd Burn »

This will be possible in 3.2 with the events system but not in 3.0 without modifications.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

As for your permissions problem, the three-level permissions system will do exactly what you need (and this is basically why there are three levels). Just set the permissions you want exclusive to "proven" members to a "soft no"* in the default "registered users" group and set them to "yes" in a second group that users are added to later, based on certain criteria. The "yes" will override the "soft no".

From Acyd Burn's post I understand that the actual moving/adding of users will have to be done manually, though.

*: "unset" in beta1, "no" in CVS and upcoming versions. Using this to avoid confusion with the recent change of terminology.
Last edited by Eelke on Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

He wants to put members in a certain group by their post count automatically, which needs modifications. :)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I thought that's what the second part of his post is about, and that the first part is about allowing and disallowing certain priviliges to new and proven members, regardless of how they end up in the respective groups.
Waleed

Post by Waleed »

Okay, cool. Thanks for the information. Back to the ACP for me. Time for some more experimentation...

edit: No, the whole post is about the same thing :D
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

ROFL... That should be easy shouldn't it... Just change the register.php so that when they register they join the Newbie usergroup... Then change the posting.php so that every time they actually post a topic it checks to see if they have the correct number of posts then if they do simply change the group ID...

Not too hard!

Cheers,
Stubbers

Stubbers is now 18 (and passed the drivers licence test this morning)
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Not too hard when you decide you are OK with modding the board. IMHO, that's only a last resort (after having considered not bothering at all), because it complicates the update process.

If you do decide you are OK with modding the board, I think you can do it with even less changes, by simply making your default users group the newbie group (i.e. you won't need to change the default group users are added to).
Waleed

Post by Waleed »

Eelke wrote: Not too hard when you decide you are OK with modding the board.

I agree. Unfortunately not everyone who uses phpBB is fluent in PHP. Nor is everyone who uses phpBB familiar with the source code and how the board works.
If you do decide you are OK with modding the board, I think you can do it with even less changes, by simply making your default users group the newbie group (i.e. you won't need to change the default group users are added to).

...but can users progress to another user group automatically based on their post-count alone? From what AcydBurn wrote, that won't be possible until phpBB 3.2, or until mods for olympus come out.
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Waleed wrote: I agree. Unfortunately not everyone who uses phpBB is fluent in PHP. Nor is everyone who uses phpBB familiar with the source code and how the board works.

Well, I wasn't really advocating that the change is easy, but that just the fact(?) that the change is easy doesn't mean it should be done, because it has other implications. Your point certainly is valid too, changing core files isn't for everyone.

And yes, Acyd Burn did mean this functionality is not available with 3.0.