CVS or Beta?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
stickman10

CVS or Beta?

Post by stickman10 »

I would like to use Olympus in a live environment (PLEASE dont give the "its not recommended for use in a live environment" response). I am up for the challenge of maintaining a CVS/Beta version in a live environment. However, I am unsure of which one I should download. CVS includes the latest bug fixes, but has an incredibly slim chance of an upgrade script to the RC/Final versions. Beta has a greater chance of an upgrade script to the RC/Final versions, but it doesnt contain the latest bug fixes. My question is, which version should I download based on these two things?

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

stubbers

Re: CVS or Beta?

Post by stubbers »

stickman10 wrote: I would like to use Olympus in a live environment (PLEASE dont give the "its not recommended for use in a live environment" response).

Someone will... But there is a large element of sensibility behind this comment as it's not finished and there could be rather large holes in it.
stickman10 wrote: I am up for the challenge of maintaining a CVS/Beta version in a live environment. However, I am unsure of which one I should download. CVS includes the latest bug fixes, but has an incredibly slim chance of an upgrade script to the RC/Final versions. Beta has a greater chance of an upgrade script to the RC/Final versions, but it doesnt contain the latest bug fixes.

Of course... The most likely thing is that neither will have an upgrade path... CVS WILL NOT... Beta probably won't... Spambot would be the most authoratative on the subject!
stickman10 wrote: My question is, which version should I download based on these two things?

If you are insistant on doing this, I'd have to say CVS, but you will have to know how to manually manipulate the database and you will have to check the CVS logs everytime you update to the newest version of the CVS.
stickman10 wrote: Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

You're welcome...

stickman10

Post by stickman10 »

Thanks for your response. I know & understand the risks of using an "unfinished" forum in a live environment. I am experienced in both PHP and MySQL, so if a rather large problem were to occur, I will most likely be able to fix it.

I can manually upgrade from CVS to CVS to CVS to CVS ...... to RC if there were something that tracked every change that has occured, which would be the CVS commits for the most part. My question now is, will there still be CVS commits up to the RC versions?

Wert

Post by Wert »

stickman10 wrote: I would like to use Olympus in a live environment (PLEASE dont give the "its not recommended for use in a live environment" response).

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.
No support is given in terms of running in a live environment. Sorry you don't want to hear it, but those are the facts.

Support requests of this type probably aren't going to be warmly welcomed here.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

CVS, simple. Why? Because all bugs that are in the beta, are fixed in cvs (mostly). You must (likely) only manually updating your forum. Iam also running 2 CVS versions live, and 1 beta, and updated them every week(Mostly in the weekend, when there are more checkins).

-jm-

Post by -jm- »

If you are comfortable with database structure comparing, and data converting then you shouldn't have any trouble to upgrade by yourself from CVS to CVS and from latest CVS before RC1 to RC1 when it will come out.
It's up to you :)
remembers to backup your data before any conversion attempt and good luck.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

stickman10 wrote: My question now is, will there still be CVS commits up to the RC versions?

All code goes into CVS, otherwise they woudn't be able to maintain things properly. In the past (looking at cvs status) it appears they tag the files that make up an RC, you can then use cvs diff to find the differances with your own files. Of course if they don't tag it then it could be more difficult, but you could always download the packaged RC, put it in a directory next to your CVS and use diff to find out whats changed.

stickman10

Post by stickman10 »

Thanks for all the comments. I think I will try the CVS version.

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Note that you won't get any support at all for CVS versions.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

stickman10

Post by stickman10 »

I know I wont get any support, and I dont think I'll need any support because I can usually find out how to do things on my own (keyword: usually).