Sugestion - Hook system like on vB 3.5

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
multigl

Re: Sugestion - Hook system like on vB 3.5

Post by multigl »

an object oriented API for every component of PHPBB would be ideal, because you could enhance or override any pre-existing methods without changing any pre-existing code. Unfortunately, to have a really clean and consisten OO API in PHP, you need to go exclusively to PHP 5.

whitenexx

Post by whitenexx »

That`s no Problem ;) The most webhosting organisations do have php5. In my own situation, i get a update to php5 for 5€. And most Freehosters like pytal.de just have php5.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

It is a problem because most do actually still only have PHP4, mainly so popular scripts like phpBB still work on clients accounts.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Suetan

Post by Suetan »

Here's what I think about a hook system. I personally wouldn't use it because I like to go and do the code edits manually (that's why I don't use EM). It would be a nice feature for people that are new to webdesign, and don't know anything about PHP. So when phpBB 3.0 comes out, someone might want to consider making a MOD for it that's easy to install (as little file edits as possible) so that people that don't know what they're really doing can customize their boards with a smoother transition.

Perhaps this is something that the EM crew should look into.