Forum Permissions

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EXreaction

Re: Forum Permissions

Post by EXreaction »

SHS` wrote: What do the forums rules say again?
No support. :(

dhn

Post by dhn »

stefan2k1 wrote: Ok, so please explain what to do in this case, sounds really simple but i don't get it:

I have a forum called Announcements and only the Administrator should be able to post new Topics. All Registered Users should reply to topics. All Guests and Bots should see and read the forum.

I go to ACP and open "Forums -> Forum Permissions. There i select the Forum "Announcements" and in the Groups i have Administrators,Bots,Guests,Unapproved Users, Unapproved COPPA Users,Registered Users and Registered COPPA Users. Since i am the administrator (founder) i select Administrators Group and check permissions for that forum and set all to yes (Also "can post in forum"). If i try to post as administrator in the forum all i get is "You cannot post in this forum".

If i change the permission of the "Registered Users" Group for that forum so they can post in that forum the administrator can also post. But i want only the administrators to be able to create new topics. I have no more idea how this must be configured. Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)
I'll overrule Jon's post as we are still evaluating permissions and feedback is needed. I bet you set everything you don't want Registered Users to do to "No". As Administrators are also Registered Users, and "No" overrules any "Yes" you set, you the Administrator will of course not be able to post.

To do what you want, you need to set everything you don't want Registered Users to have, to "Unset". "Unset" is by default "No", unless it is overwritten by a "Yes". To summarise:

"Unset" == soft no, that can be overwritten by a "Yes"
"No" == hard no, that cannot be overwritten by a "Yes"

The developers are considering changing the naming of the permission options and are only looking for the best wording. "Unset" will probably become "No", and "No" could become "Never" or something similar.

MrTufty

Post by MrTufty »

dhn wrote: The developers are considering changing the naming of the permission options and are only looking for the best wording. "Unset" will probably become "No", and "No" could become "Never" or something similar.
I definitely think those are much better names for the options. Not that you should listen to me of course :D

APTX

Post by APTX »

Permission tracking was added in the latest CVS. That should help finding why a user can't do something (it has a bug though).
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Mr.Jester

Post by Mr.Jester »

The new permissions are very similar to Windows permissions and rights. If you are familure with how it works on your windows box, then this should be a simple step. Then again, if you are familure with permission/rights on a windows box, then you proabably already realized the similarities and didn't need this pointed out...

So.. if you need something to 'practice' with and you're running Win 2k/XP/2k3 with NTFS filesystem, take a look at folder/file security and Local Security Policy from the admin tools. Same principles all the way around.

Might be a way for the Devs here to better identify the parts. Borrow some terminology from something pretty much everyone uses.