beta 1 and now

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
gLiTcH_

beta 1 and now

Post by gLiTcH_ »

So the bug tracker is open, but no announcement indicating that its already beta. Yet, with all these bug fixing commits, it sort of feels like we are already on beta. When Beta 1 hits, what are going to expect?

By the way, sorry if this sounds like a newbie question, I'm not really a software developer so I may not understand fully on the terms like beta, pre-beta, alpha, etc. bear with me. :)

Thanks! :)

the_dan

Re: beta 1 and now

Post by the_dan »

Beta will be essentially the same, except with the obvious bugs eliminated, and a degree of support being provided.

At the moment, the code is only avaliable to those who can sort it out themselves, and if they can't do it, they will recieve no help. This will carry on untill the most obvious bugs have been got rid of, and all the features have been properly completed, at which point a beta will be released.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

beta is usually feature-complete and pretty buggy. RC1,2,etc. are release candidate 1 or two or whatever. they are the next step pas the beta phases and are as you would expect, all issues have been identified and resolved (at least all major issues, and as many as are known minor issues are resolved as well and they're digging for more bugs, but it's about to be released.

some devs follow the steps a bit differently, but that's basically what the steps mean.

R45

Post by R45 »

NNO-Stephen wrote: beta is usually feature-complete and pretty buggy. RC1,2,etc. are release candidate 1 or two or whatever. they are the next step pas the beta phases and are as you would expect, all issues have been identified and resolved (at least all major issues, and as many as are known minor issues are resolved as well and they're digging for more bugs, but it's about to be released.

some devs follow the steps a bit differently, but that's basically what the steps mean.
RCs are usually the point where features are complete frozen and production testing is done, there is still the opportunity of a significant overhaul of a section/feature in the BETA phase. But it's all dependent on what the Dev team wants to do in each phase, what I just said were the standards used by the Paul before.

quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

gLiTcH_ wrote: it sort of feels like we are already on beta When Beta 1 hits, what are going to expect?
Well when the actual Beta release is out you will be able to download the actual script rather than having to rely on the CVS.

Does anyone know when the style will be released for Olympus? I believe i heard that the new version of subSilver will be released with the final version. I guess the beta will include the style we see here? OR will the final style be released with the beta?

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

quick5pnt0 wrote: Does anyone know when the style will be released for Olympus? I believe i heard that the new version of subSilver will be released with the final version. I guess the beta will include the style we see here? OR will the final style be released with the beta?
I think you mean the secret style. It is not a new version of subSilver (as I have heard), because it is completley new, and not even based on subSilver. As of now it is going to be released with the final version, to keep the "wow" factor. I don't know about you, but I am dying to see it.

R45

Post by R45 »

They've said the final release will include both this style (subSilver2) and the new secret one.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

what about RC? I'd tend to think it'd have to come out with RC...

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

NNO-Stephen wrote: what about RC? I'd tend to think it'd have to come out with RC...
No, the new style will only be avaliable with the gold release.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

NNO-Stephen wrote: what about RC? I'd tend to think it'd have to come out with RC...
When subSilver was released prior to the phpBB 2.0 release, it was immediately copied by numerous other software packages, so there was little new look once 2.0 made it to the final version. They're attempting to avoid that here.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.