ajax?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
sahtor

Re: ajax?

Post by sahtor »

Handyman wrote: cron execution? of what sort? I wouldn't think that a cron would have to be called by Javascript since it's already being called when you load the page via php.

But calling one in a big board means your browser says the page didn't load 100% until all the cron is done.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

sahtor wrote:
Handyman wrote: cron execution? of what sort? I wouldn't think that a cron would have to be called by Javascript since it's already being called when you load the page via php.

But calling one in a big board means your browser says the page didn't load 100% until all the cron is done.

If you have a cron that big, you should cut it down... it shouldn't be calling so many queries that it takes that long... it should only take a couple seconds at the most.
php and MySQL are very fast... usually taking less than a second do run an entire page.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Soulz

Post by Soulz »

I think then AJAX in phpBB is interesting, but it relative, if you apply AJAX in the View Online List, your traffic will be increase considerably. :?

Att. Soulz
phpBB Brasil Translators Team

phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" - The Greatest phpBB ever built.
Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

Thank you for the explanations what AJAX really is. :)

Well- phpBB3 is using AJAX I think right now. The new Permission system is looking very much like using it (as seen by a user, I mean.)
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Tienchen wrote: Thank you for the explanations what AJAX really is. :)

Well- phpBB3 is using AJAX I think right now. The new Permission system is looking very much like using it (as seen by a user, I mean.)

Hmm... your correct.
They use it on the old permission system as well.
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

If you get these unofficial mods working, you should consider getting them qualified as official mods for phpbb3 when time comes. I for one would love to have these features you mentioned.

We intend to, we've got a sourceforge project called TheVR, we're hoping to make a sort of fork that is really a collection of mods that hopefully will be able to make it to the official phpbb3 mod list.

Don't think there is any point releasing our phpbb2 mods. Would have to support it...
HBChronox

Post by HBChronox »

Tienchen wrote: Well- phpBB3 is using AJAX I think right now. The new Permission system is looking very much like using it (as seen by a user, I mean.)

No, the new permission system does not use AJAX.
It just uses Javascript to switch the categories (post, content, actions, misc and polls) for the user groups, but there is no requesting of any content with AJAX.
NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

sahtor wrote: Only good ajax-features I've seen have been cron-execution without browser status loading... and the edit button already mentioned in this thread.

voting in polls with ajax would be nice. no page reload to confirm the vote.
jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

Wow. Does no one understand the difference between AJAX and plain Javascript. The last time I tried to examine it, ajax wasn't very feasible without a lot of modification, but the new template system may make it easier.

BTW: Its not ajax unless there is javascript and stuff being asynchronously (ex/ seemlessly) sent from your browser to the server within the page..

[edit] yay. the poster above me does. ajax poll voting WOULD be awesome. Ajax quick reply would also be awesome, but that could be a mod.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

jimmygoon wrote: Wow. Does no one understand the difference between AJAX and plain Javascript. The last time I tried to examine it, ajax wasn't very feasible without a lot of modification, but the new template system may make it easier.

BTW: Its not ajax unless there is javascript and stuff being asynchronously (ex/ seemlessly) sent from your browser to the server within the page..

[edit] yay. the poster above me does. ajax poll voting WOULD be awesome. Ajax quick reply would also be awesome, but that could be a mod.

hehe! my bad!
I just know the page doesn't reload... I didn't think through what it actually does :)
I just got finished building an AJAX chat script.
Next up on my ajax to-do list is the quick reply.