ajax?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
iyeru42

Re: ajax?

Post by iyeru42 »

Just so all of you people know, the WYSIWYG Editor for popular board softwares such as vBull don't use AJAX to init. the Editor, rather... it's a Java Applet used through JavaScript, but not AJAX.
Danopia: wats wrong with windows server?
Iyeru: Everything
Danopia: r u another stereotyper?
Iyeru: No, I'm not a stereotyper.
Iyeru: In fact, I don't think I can type in stereo.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

FYI, the vB quick reply currently uses AJAX technology to post.

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

Isn't AJAX and Javascript quite the same, only a bit extended one? Or am I false informated...
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

AJAX uses Javascript and XML to do what it needs to do.
For instance, when you are viewing a page generated by AJAX, the javascript makes the php page run and display the outcome in XML and from there, the javascript grabs the XML and displays it however you want it displayed.

My first AJAX script didn't use XML, and it had a few problems... so now I use all XML for the display.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Klors

Post by Klors »

Tienchen wrote: Isn't AJAX and Javascript quite the same, only a bit extended one? Or am I false informated...

Yes and no.

AJAX is a term that was coined for one way of using some existing technologies (Javascript's XmlHttpRequest Object and XML) to make asynchronous (ie. without refreshing the entire page) GET and POST requests back to the web server and receive data back.

Which is why it's so useless when people come here and say "phpBB needs AJAX" as a feature request as it means nothing inherently.

The same asynchronous behaviour can be achieved using other technologies too (flash, vbscript, java applets, etc. I believe).

Daworm

Post by Daworm »

I'd like to see an AJAX mouseover of topics, that'll display the first X lines of a post.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Daworm wrote: I'd like to see an AJAX mouseover of topics, that'll display the first X lines of a post.

Why would you need ajax to do that? that would be to slow.
It's best to just use a tooltip. Even VB only uses a tooltip.
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

APTX

Post by APTX »

On the whole AJAX is useful, but not too useful and not quite all the time.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

sahtor

Post by sahtor »

Only good ajax-features I've seen have been cron-execution without browser status loading... and the edit button already mentioned in this thread.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

sahtor wrote: Only good ajax-features I've seen have been cron-execution without browser status loading... and the edit button already mentioned in this thread.

cron execution? of what sort? I wouldn't think that a cron would have to be called by Javascript since it's already being called when you load the page via php.

Does something display automatically?