Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Cap'n Refsmmat
Registered User
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

Ah, okay. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to.


Couldn't you simply make the confirmation page set the cookie/mark the DB and then do a redirect right away?

guice
Registered User
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:53 am

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by guice »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: Ah, okay. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to.


Couldn't you simply make the confirmation page set the cookie/mark the DB and then do a redirect right away?
That's what I currently do on one of my forums, but when the server's acting a bit flaky, that extra page load could easily mean another 30-60 seconds before the person gets back to the forum in question. For me, it's just the matter of the removal of unecessary page loads. If a page is no longer needed, why have it?

kebabman
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by kebabman »

I've got rid of the posting confirmation page completely on my phpBB 2.0.19 board, when you post it takes you straight back to the thread you posted on, works far better with tabbed browsers.....did it a while back and can't remember exactly how though I'm sure I could trudge through and jog my memory if anyone wants to know. :)

Been trying to do the same thing to a phpBB3 I'm playing around with, but the code structure is confusing me at the moment. Sure I'll get my head around it at some point, but I definitely think the board is better without the posting confirmation page.

guice
Registered User
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:53 am

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by guice »

kebabman wrote: I've got rid of the posting confirmation page completely on my phpBB 2.0.19 board, when you post it takes you straight back to the thread you posted on, works far better with tabbed browsers.....did it a while back and can't remember exactly how though I'm sure I could trudge through and jog my memory if anyone wants to know. :)

Been trying to do the same thing to a phpBB3 I'm playing around with, but the code structure is confusing me at the moment. Sure I'll get my head around it at some point, but I definitely think the board is better without the posting confirmation page.
I did the same thing with my old forum, too. I just changed the refresh to 0. But with all the junk it still draws on the page, sometimes the browser gets a little confused being the refresh time is set before the browser can draw the page. So, sometimes it'll go immediately, other times it'll go right when it finishes drawing the page (depending on browser).

kebabman
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by kebabman »

I added some code into posting.php around line 602.

Before this:

Code: Select all

$template->assign_vars(array(
                        'META' => $return_meta)
Add this:

Code: Select all

if ( $mode == 'delete' && $post_data['first_post'] && $post_data['last_post'] )
        {
                $redirect = "viewforum.$phpEx?" . POST_FORUM_URL . "=$forum_id";
                redirect(append_sid($redirect, true));
        }
        elseif ( $mode == 'delete' )        {
                $redirect = "viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id";
                redirect(append_sid($redirect, true));
        }
        elseif ( $mode == 'reply' || $mode == 'editpost' || $mode == 'newtopic' )        {
                $redirect = "viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_POST_URL . "=$post_id";
                $post_append = "#$post_id";
                redirect(append_sid($redirect, true) . $post_append);
        }
Job done. :)

User avatar
NNO-Stephen
Registered User
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Kebabman: this is for which version of phpBB?
Image

User avatar
the_dan
Registered User
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by the_dan »

2.0.x at a guess - 2.2 doesn't use the append_sid() function.

kebabman
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by kebabman »

Correct. I know it works on 2.0.12 and onwards, haven't tested it on earlier versions but I'm sure no one out there is foolish enough to run pre-2.0.12 anyway. ;)

Craig321
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:15 pm

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by Craig321 »

TimJBart wrote: I was wondering if in this new version the confirmation page after posting that takes you back to your thread would still be there.

Why does phpBB use this page before going back to the thread? Is it not possible to see your own message as soon as you press post?

I've always wondered...
Redirection Suite for phpBB 2, very nice mod, takes you straight back to your reply instead of the confirmation. I think the confirmation should be able to be turned off in the admin panel :)

TimJBart
Registered User
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 8:24 pm

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by TimJBart »

Craig321 wrote:
TimJBart wrote: I was wondering if in this new version the confirmation page after posting that takes you back to your thread would still be there.

Why does phpBB use this page before going back to the thread? Is it not possible to see your own message as soon as you press post?

I've always wondered...
Redirection Suite for phpBB 2, very nice mod, takes you straight back to your reply instead of the confirmation. I think the confirmation should be able to be turned off in the admin panel :)
yeh so do I!

I think that is the MOD I found but it is not compatible with the attachments MOD I had installed.

Hope you guys can figure something out for phpbb 3, I really do prefer it without! I don't like putting the delay to zero either, looks a bit slapdash.
In vino veritas

Post Reply