Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
trenzterra

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by trenzterra »

I remember it had something to do with stressing the server and stuff...

TimJBart

Post by TimJBart »

BondGamer wrote:
Plus, if there is no confirmation then a user may be confused as to whether their posting was actually posted.
oh come on! When they post it appears right there at the end of the thread right in front of you.

Its probably a server stress thing I rekon for large boards when many different posts are being made simultaneously. Just a theory! Would it be possible to be an option in the future or once the code syntax is decided it would need rewriting to get rid of the confirmation?

Now that this is the route that phpBB has taken I suppose it'll never change.

TrevorB run that redirect thing by me again, how do I get rid of the confirmation?
In vino veritas

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

In the posting mode, after the code that inserts the data. Right before the $template->pparse('body') shows up, use a redirect to the topic. It's probably simple, but does require thoughts. It's not a good idea to get the code from me, I'm rewriting bits of the phpBB2 core, I'll do 3 later. (When it's released)

guice

Post by guice »

the_dan wrote: I believe it was something to do with cookies / sessions, although that could well have been the login confirmation page.
This would make sense back in the day. But now that phpBB3 is using DB sessions over cookies, they should be able to get away from this.

The whole cookie thing has always been a peev of mine. I can't just hit "mark all topics read" and then immediate hit "back" to return to the thread index once Fx says "waiting for response". Due to the cookie thing, I *had* to wait for the next page, which is a major pita on slow servers. This is the key reason I'm pleased to see/hear phpBB3 is moving to DB session tracking.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

guice wrote: This would make sense back in the day. But now that phpBB3 is using DB sessions over cookies, they should be able to get away from this.
Isn't that an *option*?
Won't administrators be able to set one way or another?
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Dean

Post by Dean »

If your post took you directly to the thread, then you get problems with people pressing Refresh. This will re-post the POST data and result in double posts.

There are ways around it, as vB does, but they come with a whole bunch of problems of their own.

guice

Post by guice »

If your post took you directly to the thread, then you get problems with people pressing Refresh. This will re-post the POST data and result in double posts.
That's what a redirect is for. It prevents this possibility. Redirect as in header redirect: Location: <post url>.
Isn't that an *option*?
Won't administrators be able to set one way or another?
I couldn't find the option to switch to Cookie tracking or DB tracking. It's my understanding it's all now set to DB tracking.

Biker

Post by Biker »

well just to let you know, even ipb has this when you reply you get

"Thanks,Your post has been submitted" at that point is when the post is put into the database.

same with phpbb...

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

guice wrote: I couldn't find the option to switch to Cookie tracking or DB tracking. It's my understanding it's all now set to DB tracking.
I think you've misunderstood somewhere. The DB tracking is for read/unread topics, not session handling. It's under the server load settings, I think (can't get into the adminCP to check, it doesn't seem to be working right).

guice

Post by guice »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote:
guice wrote: I couldn't find the option to switch to Cookie tracking or DB tracking. It's my understanding it's all now set to DB tracking.
I think you've misunderstood somewhere. The DB tracking is for read/unread topics, not session handling. It's under the server load settings, I think (can't get into the adminCP to check, it doesn't seem to be working right).
That's what I was refering to all along. Session tracking as in tracking your session: what topics you've read, what topics are now, etc.

That's why there's a "confirm page" is cause the cookie had to be set saying "mark this thread as read" because when you make a new post, the thread's timestamp changes. Under the old system the only way to mark a thread a "read" is through a cookie setting, this includes when you make a post. See where I'm getting at? In order for a thread that you've just replied to get marked as "read", a new cookie as to be sent to your client saying "mark this thread read". This is why the confirmation page existed; to send that cookie. This is why when you're redirected to the thread, your post is not "marked as new" within it.