I am taking the code.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
FronServo

I am taking the code.

Post by FronServo »

This is not a threat, this is a WARNING. As PHPBB3.0 has taken so long to complete, I have taken the code, tweaked it, and made it stable. It will be under the name, "PhopBamb", which is under the name "phpBB". If you care to disagree, the name is phpbb. Take out the o, a, and the m, you get phpBB. It is the same name.

Now then, you realize that once i release this to the public, they will be VERY mad at you. Imagine - all the features planned with PHPBB3.0, right. now. Face it, the people won't wait to use your software. A very small user fan base will, but most will want an updated phpBB. NOW. And I'm just giving this to them.

Being under the liscence that you are, I'm afraid you have no choice to accept this. I'm not breaking any rules - i'm not using my own name - i'm not claiming it as my own. I simply modified your code to work as desired.

Now, I am not doing this to give the people what they want. I am doing this to get the pleasure out of you all losing your users to an unofficial fix. You can lock this topic, whatever you want. Wont stop me from doing it. Which I will.
Get ready, devs.

Good day.
Last edited by FronServo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_dan

Re: I am taking the code.

Post by the_dan »

Funniest thread ever :lol:

You are actually joking, right? If not, all I can say is good luck, you're going to need it.

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

I disagree with the naming, adding letters doesn't make it the same. It's different.
How do you plan to make up for the search, alledgedily is being rewritten.
I think theres a fair share tweakingyou could do to improve, but theirs also a lot missing you would have to spend some time on.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Hey FronServo, you won we give up. But do you by any chance have a position for a Website Team Leader? I am most companionable, and ready to work long hours. I live very healthy and do a lot of sports. Please PM when anything opens.

Regards,
dhn

Former Website Team Leader of the now dead phpbb project

FronServo

Post by FronServo »

TrevorB wrote: I disagree with the naming, adding letters doesn't make it the same. It's different.
It doesn't matter about your opinions.
TrevorB wrote: How do you plan to make up for the search, alledgedily is being rewritten.
I think theres a fair share tweakingyou could do to improve, but theirs also a lot missing you would have to spend some time on.
I have made up for that by heavily modifying the search. I have actually spent many, many months on this. It's nearly completely different now.
dhn wrote: Hey FronServo, you won we give up. But do you by any chance have a position for a Website Team Leader? I am most companionable, and ready to work long hours. I live very healthy and do a lot of sports. Please PM when anything opens.

Regards,
dhn

Former Website Team Leader of the now dead phpbb project
I'm afraid sarcasm will get you no where, terribly sorry.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Well, good luck to you. There have been quite a few branches made from the phpBB source, including two others from that of phpBB 3.0 that I know of. However, I can only remember, um, one of their names. And, I have no interest in using it.

I hope you do better than the others. I'm sure the phpBB team won't mind a long as you don't break the rules and promote non-vanilla phpBB forum software here. They don't like that.

Goodluck.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

code reader

Post by code reader »

you may feel you are doing something completely unheard of, but in reality this is quite a common practice, known as a "fork".
it is entirely permissible under gpl, and many successful projects forked out of former projects. sometimes the original project disappeared, and sometime they coexist.
personally, i dont like your attitude, but there is no law that says i (or onyone else) have to like you.

just be warned: in general, about one out of twenty forks ever gets to something.
judging from your opening post, i doubt very much yours will be one of those.
(just fyi: there were quite a few forks out of phpbb in the past. ttbomk, none of them became a successful project).

in any event, i wish you the best of luck with "PhopBamb", or whatever other name you will choose to name it.
let the fork be with you.

FronServo

Post by FronServo »

Lastof wrote: Well, good luck to you. There have been quite a few branches made from the phpBB source, including two others from that of phpBB 3.0 that I know of. However, I can only remember, um, one of their names. And, I have no interest in using it.

I hope you do better than the others. I'm sure the phpBB team won't mind a long as you don't break the rules and promote non-vanilla phpBB forum software here. They don't like that.

Goodluck.
I see. It wont be like one of those, where they take this code and create their own vision from your vision. This is your vision. My work.

If you wanted to be really technicle, it WILL be phpBB3, or "my version" of it. The sad part, it will be the only version. If my plan works (don't laugh yet - i have more up my sleeve), there WILL be no official phpBB3. They'll spread their branches to go higher then me, even MORE advance. Which, will once again, take a ridiculously long time, causing more people to run to my olympus, and causing even the phpBB 2.0.x serious irrelevent. Therefor...

People won't want to keep using 2.0.x, and they wont want to wait for your "new" olympus. Causing every user to come crawling to me. If I understand the human mind, your developers will be very discouraged, and eventually, when only a few people care about his new project, the project will die. They won't update the 2.0.x branch, as no one will use that. The world will be left phpBB-less, and I will become the one, true, official phpBB.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

FronServo wrote: This is not a threat, this is a WARNING. As PHPBB3.0 has taken so long to complete, I have taken the code, tweaked it, and made it stable. It will be under the name, "PhopBamb", which is under the name "phpBB". If you care to disagree, the name is phpbb. Take out the o, a, and the m, you get phpBB. It is the same name.

Now then, you realize that once i release this to the public, they will be VERY mad at you. Imagine - all the features planned with PHPBB3.0, right. now. Face it, the people won't wait to use your software. A very small user fan base will, but most will want an updated phpBB. NOW. And I'm just giving this to them.

Being under the liscence that you are, I'm afraid you have no choice to accept this. I'm not breaking any rules - i'm not using my own name - i'm not claiming it as my own. I simply modified your code to work as desired.

Now, I am not doing this to give the people what they want. I am doing this to get the pleasure out of you all losing your users to an unofficial fix. You can lock this topic, whatever you want. Wont stop me from doing it. Which I will.
Get ready, devs.

Good day.
.....ok, and you think this hasn't been tried before huh? I have seen a few of these other "stable" releases and they aren't as "stable" as the author makes them out to be. Like many others, people are going to assume yours is crap as well and just not care.

Your idea is old, and, further, it's cliche and boring, don't you got anything original? If your so good, why don't you make your own forum software?

I bet your evil laugh as you contemplate these things is going to be crappy too, much like your cliche'd statements above :lol:

FronServo

Post by FronServo »

Spectral Dragon wrote:
FronServo wrote: This is not a threat, this is a WARNING. As PHPBB3.0 has taken so long to complete, I have taken the code, tweaked it, and made it stable. It will be under the name, "PhopBamb", which is under the name "phpBB". If you care to disagree, the name is phpbb. Take out the o, a, and the m, you get phpBB. It is the same name.

Get ready, devs.

Good day.
.....ok, and you think this hasn't been tried before huh? I have seen a few of these other "stable" releases and they aren't as "stable" as the author makes them out to be. Like many others, people are going to assume yours is crap as well and just not care.

Your idea is old, and, further, it's cliche and boring, don't you got anything original? If your so good, why don't you make your own forum software?

I bet your evil laugh as you contemplate these things is going to be crappy too, much like your cliche'd statements above :lol:
I'm terribly afraid your opinion here doesn't matter... sorry sorry. :(