phpBB is NOT Dead? or am I stupid?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
sim2k

phpBB is NOT Dead? or am I stupid?

Post by sim2k »

Hi,
i'm not shure - but i hope phpBB is not dead, because i'm waiting for the phpBB3 - to start a new community ^^ i have time (i hope i can start @may next year) - but i'm coding modifcations today...

Is the Crew active?

hopfully

sim

SamG

Re: phpBB is NOT Dead? or am I stupid?

Post by SamG »

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I'm assuming the implication from that link is pointing towards the project being 'temp dead'.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Shifted priorities from v3 back to v2, which means phpBB isn't a dead project, temporarily or otherwise.

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Considering we were around christmas near a release of a alpha or something and are
now at "We have no idea when it will be released, but now we are busy working on something else"
It is not dead, it moved backward and stoped now

This project lacks the fun factor, thats why its stuck...they should stop the whole
support mentality and start again to produce innovative solutions with "as is"
status...noobs unable to backup can use one of the many pay-boards

just imho

Sidenote...I did not read here for months...is
pso-no-predictions-from-me-but-in-2004-TFX
still the main coding brain or did he silently
slip over board...? ;)

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

the_dan wrote: I'm assuming the implication from that link is pointing towards the project being 'temp dead'.
precise term is "Mostly Dead" (just ask Miracle Max).

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

JustMe wrote: Sidenote...I did not read here for months...is
pso-no-predictions-from-me-but-in-2004-TFX
still the main coding brain or did he silently
slip over board...? ;)
according to the cvs commits, psotfx has not made any significant code contribution for many months now, prolly more than a year.
based on the parts of the code i read, this is for the better, as he is far from being the best programmer whose code i read.
acydburn seems to be the sole contributor to v3, at least in 2005. in principle this is good, as he is a significantly better software engineer than anyone else in phpbb team whose code i've read, the problem is he seem to be very occupied with a (relatively) new job and/or job responsibilities, so, in effect, there is no team.

the alleged "security audit" thrown on top of the above, leads me to the conclusion that "sometime in 2006" is a very optimistic release date for olympus.
imho, the only hope left for this project is that someone with talent, time and entusiasm will take over the project. based on my glimpses of the personalities involved, this can only happen as a fork.
the problem is, of course, that people with real talent and enthusiasm tend to start their own projects from scratch, rather than taking over a 6-year old 80 Klocs forks...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Guess I'll be using the ban admin then ... of course I wrote it so it's probably crap. If you want to comment on the status of the project ... boring as it is for everyone now ... okay. If you start getting personal, get lost ... you'll be doing the later.

Oh ... and FYI .. yep I'm bored silly now with the community mentality. That's why I'm very much in the background these days. That and I gave months, heck 2+ years of my life to keep this project going ... crap code and all ... for an ungrateful bunch of whining users and lack of leadership from the top. So thanks arod-1 for sapping that last modicum of enthusiasm I still had.