Shapshot Updates

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Moman

Shapshot Updates

Post by Moman »

Well, now that i finally got my snapshot to work,

Does anyone know what changes there are between the released snapshots, if any? There's one released every few hours, but what are the updates?

:?:
Mo
Finally Installed A Snapshot :D :D

[Edit: Removed, thankfully]
ScionCrow

Re: Shapshot Updates

Post by ScionCrow »

The only way to find out is to install the new snapshot. There is no way of telling of any new features for Olympus Snapshots and they are released every hour.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

** CVS commit email notification lets one know when new phpBB commits have been made and hence when the snapshots have changed... Then downloading a new snapshot and using something like BeyondCompare on all files tells (locates) the new changes explicitely... **

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... b-checkins

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... b-checkins
Moman

Post by Moman »

oh, ok. I will check those. I wont have to update the database, will I?
Mo

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Normally not, but sometimes we do flush all files and drop all tables and start from scratch (run the install again, etc.) to check installation features, etc., it just all depends, but you do not have to always "update" the database as it changes infrequently...

** also realize that email notification can come for both 2.0.x as well as the Olympus dev stuff **

Good Luck!
Moman

Post by Moman »

thanks. the current snapshot is running, and it is about a week old now. i will over-write the files after one more week passes. btw that is the even/cron system? both are inactive.
Mo

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

ScionCrow wrote: The only way to find out is to install the new snapshot. There is no way of telling of any new features for Olympus Snapshots and they are released every hour.
this may be true if you use the snapshot, but if you actually use the cvs, there is a perfect record of what changed when.
if you want, the anonymous access to the cvs repository is
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/phpbb
(password: just press enter)
and the project is phpBB2

there are some advantages to using the cvs repository rather than the snapshot. in addition to having more ready access to the diff list (just run cvs diff), if you modify the files yourself, cvs will merge the code changes committed by the developers with your changes, which means you can begin to modify the code (eg develop a mod) and still stay 100% up to date with the dev.

a downside to using the cvs repository is that it makes you realize how little progress this project had seen in the last 6-8 months... (i think about 3 significant commits since march).
Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

Dope, arod-1 got it before me. What a waste of my 5mins+ words to text and grammar currections. :( ..

Anyways as he said, it basically the best why to follow changes,I'm still not sure why snapshoots are made every hour 8O.

The only major change that affect me was the smile changes, other than that, a basic php and database programmer should be able to live on the edge.

Note: I don't recommend using the development version on any productive site. Not only for the unsure upgrade path or whatever feature bugs. But mostly for security concerns.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank
Moman

Post by Moman »

Its too bad that progress is slow- but it is a great project that i truly support.

I'll try out the cvs shortly.

Still, what is the cron/event system?

FYI, the snapshot I installed is for testing/demo only, and my 2.0.17 forum only have 12000 posts, so it is a small site. I realize that the current dev boards had many security drawbacks.
Mo