About Beta

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ScionCrow

Re: About Beta

Post by ScionCrow »

So I worded it awkwardly.. bite me. =P

I never was good in English to begin with.....
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

just misunderstood you, doesn't matter 2.0.x can have everything here if you're willing to do a lot of MODs

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

who_cares wrote: just misunderstood you, doesn't matter 2.0.x can have everything here if you're willing to do a lot of MODs
not quite.
specifically, the "approve message mod" (not sure about the name, but it is the mod that makes messages hidden until approved by moderator) which is a feature of v3, was never finished, is buggy and unsupported, so it doesnt really "exist"...
didnt go over all other features, but my hunch is that there are quite a few other things in olympus not available through mods.

as a side: phpbb 2.0 is prety bad as code quality go to begin with. once you add all the mods required for implementing all v3 features, it becomes a true code-quality abomination (not to mention really atrocious performance). v3 code is significantly better.

by this i am not saying it is wise to wait. what i really mean is, if there are many thing you feel you must have which are not available in v2, i think you'll do better to look for another board software that sports those feature rather than add several dozens of mods.
as for me, i run a very lightly modded v2 (language pack, easymod, spell-checker, and image resize mods, plus some in-house code changes).

Tolaria

Post by Tolaria »

you are right, I have stopped using phpbb 2.0.x because for have sub-forums, attachment and PCP (plus some other minor mod), the sacurity and speed of the board was seriously damanged. so I closed the forum and now I will use (in October) this CVS because are much beter than 2.0.x.

I now it's a risk, but I would try ;)

bye :)

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

arod-1 wrote:
who_cares wrote: just misunderstood you, doesn't matter 2.0.x can have everything here if you're willing to do a lot of MODs
not quite.
specifically, the "approve message mod" (not sure about the name, but it is the mod that makes messages hidden until approved by moderator) which is a feature of v3, was never finished, is buggy and unsupported, so it doesnt really "exist"...
didnt go over all other features, but my hunch is that there are quite a few other things in olympus not available through mods.

as a side: phpbb 2.0 is prety bad as code quality go to begin with. once you add all the mods required for implementing all v3 features, it becomes a true code-quality abomination (not to mention really atrocious performance). v3 code is significantly better.

by this i am not saying it is wise to wait. what i really mean is, if there are many thing you feel you must have which are not available in v2, i think you'll do better to look for another board software that sports those feature rather than add several dozens of mods.
as for me, i run a very lightly modded v2 (language pack, easymod, spell-checker, and image resize mods, plus some in-house code changes).
meh, I wasn't being specific

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Tolaria wrote: you are right, I have stopped using phpbb 2.0.x because for have sub-forums, attachment and PCP (plus some other minor mod), the sacurity and speed of the board was seriously damanged. so I closed the forum and now I will use (in October) this CVS because are much beter than 2.0.x.

I now it's a risk, but I would try ;)

Funny, that's the same reason why I gave up the the 2.0.X line of phpBB... I got fed up with the modding and such (yet, I still do it for some people) and moved on to a CVS release of Olympus. Yeah yeah, it's definitely a risky thing to do but, I'm doing it anyway. It also is helping to familiarize myself with Olympus's features and to support the product by the time it is released officially.

And no, I will not support CVS releases as they are purely development and things will be broken. ^_~
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

Come on, my reason is purely breathing edge fun. :P

But then again I know a little php, so I can fix stuff. I also use the latest ubuntu ( liniux ) development, but it's not my main OS. Why, because I don't know enough to maintain bugs that pop up, I have learned alot tho.

Edit: added the statement below.

Note: I don't recommend using the development version on any productive site. Not only for the unsure upgrade path or whatever feature bugs. But mostly for security concerns.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

Tolaria

Post by Tolaria »

I know there are many security risks but I have prepared my website integrating the database of Olympus and changing database mean change big part of coding like users login/auth metod, Administratiors login (12 person of staff) and many other things (like group colours and so more).

so if i will change to 2.0.x i have to modify a big part of scripts and understande the mode of managing groups of 2.0.x.

I will open at 1st of october, so, I have time to change what I want, but 3.0 is so better than 2.0.x that I'm not sure i would use the old board.

moreover I wuold have to put in attachment mod, report posts mod, subforums (subforums are strictly necessary) and warning system, probably creating some security iusse anywhere.

and, obviously, the group colour mod.

it's better to risk, hoping that till october something in 3.0 has changed and beta cycle has start (an hopeless thinking, but al least a little bit of coding added would be cute ;) ).

snoopy11hk

Post by snoopy11hk »

although until now, many things are broken , I think it is attractive and I think it is better than 2.0.XX ( now is 2.2 {and broken})

it is faster, more stable, user friendly

I hope we can see phpbb 3.0 in the near future

asgl

Post by asgl »

By the way: is there a developement status page? I mean, a page where we can see what still need to be completed...