"stop watch this topic" link

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
arod-1

"stop watch this topic" link

Post by arod-1 »

i know we are not supposed to report bugs.
even the use of the "B" word is frowned upon.
BUT: - there is a bug in area51.phpbb.com/phpBB, which should be looked into.
dont know whether or not this bug exists in the cvs version of phpbb3, but this is not relevant.
the problem is that the bbs listed me as a "watcher" (on its own volition) on one of the topics, and there is no "stop watching this topic" link at the bottom, so the board has made itself a spammer.
please look into it.
thx.
Viperal2

Re: "stop watch this topic" link

Post by Viperal2 »

You can Unsubscribed, with is watch, to the topic either from the topic itself or from the UCP. I understand what your saying but just making sure you know how to remove it, outside of the email. ;)

From a look at the CVS code, emails do/should contain a unsubscribed, it may just be a change they made on this site.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

phpBB doesn't generally do anything by its own volition :) It only does what it's told to do (bug as you say accepted). I'm not aware of any bug that has automatically added people to topic subscription lists. As viperal says, there are various ways to unsubscribe from topics/forums.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

thx for the response.
i dont see the "subscribe" link in this topic, and i dont recall pressing the "subscribe" link in any topic in the past, yet i received an email.
when going back to the topic, i couldnt find the "unsubscribe" link. the email itself DID contain an "unsubscribe" link, which you can be sure i used....
again, thanks for the response, and even though i understand your decision to tend to bugs on your own schedule, since this board is active, i request that you'll look into this one if possible.

oh, now i see it:
there is a "Send me an email when a reply is posted" checkbox in the posting.php page (with the default set to "true"), which i didnt notice when originally posted.
there is no "watch this topic" link in the viewtopic page (at least i couldnt find any), nor is there any "you are watching this topic" indication, nor is there a "stop watching this topic" link, so once you pressed "submit", you will be foreced to use the email link, if you want to stop the emails.
thx.

EDIT:
sorry, sorry, sorry....
i take it all back...
i just found the "subscribe/unsubscribe" link....
the source of my mistake (at least this is my excuse) is that the link was moved from the bottom of the page, (this is how i remembered it from phpbb2) below all the posts, to the frame of the posts at the top.... :blush:
so, not really a bug report, just a small request:
will it be possible to change the default of "send me " to "no"? i understand there is a control in the ucp, but i didnt dig that deep, and i was somewhat surprised by the emails....
DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Edit: Never mind, seems that you've found it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The default on posts is controlled by the setting in your profile, and unless it's changed since I last looked at that code, this is off by default
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
test 51

Post by test 51 »

this is still arod-1.
i created a junk user (test 51) because i was ticked by my own embarrassing mistake.
well, as it turns out, this switch is off by default in the (CVS) code, but it defaults to "on" for a freshly registered user on this board, which, as i understand, does not operate stricktly on the cvs version.

sorry for the whole hooplah. it just that i suddenly found a bunch of messages in one of my junk email addresses (apparently the one i used when i registered here), and when i tried to turn off the subscription, i didnt find the "unsubscribe" link (i did look, i swear...)

btw: you are more than welcome to remove the "test 51" account. i have no more use for it.