I'm worried

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Starcraftmazter

I'm worried

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I've been looking forward to phpbb 3 for so long.....

And is it just me, or is there only one guy working on it right now?

And last time I checked there are major parts of the forum that need some major work, so how long does it take one individual to porgram all that?

And I'm sure he (or she?) has a job and life outside of this project.

So yeh...I'm worried whether phpbb 3 will be released.......... in the near future.

moondream

Re: I'm worried

Post by moondream »

Starcraftmazter wrote: Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I've been looking forward to phpbb 3 for so long.....

And is it just me, or is there only one guy working on it right now?
The most recent CVS commits are from AcydBurn, but as there are people who work on parts of the board which are not yet commited to CVS ( converter framework, user group support etc), no one but the dev team could say who is working on it. But there are constant CVS commits now, which is a positive sign compared to the last months

Starcraftmazter wrote:
And last time I checked there are major parts of the forum that need some major work, so how long does it take one individual to porgram all that?

And I'm sure he (or she?) has a job and life outside of this project.

So yeh...I'm worried whether phpbb 3 will be released.......... in the near future.
I would not rely on a release in the near future - not even beta. Everybody can make his own estimations when it will be done - but I will not post mine hire (as I am not a dev it is more or less a pure guess). If you need a bulletin board NOW, use phpBB2 or any other board. If you can wait months or even years until the stable release, then wait.

moondream

Wert

Post by Wert »

If you're that worried, feel free to use something else. We won't mind. Really.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Wert wrote: If you're that worried, feel free to use something else. We won't mind. Really.
But I really like phpbb.

That's why I can't wait to use 3.

UrbanRacer

Post by UrbanRacer »

f**k this, i'm tired waiting. I'm shifting to VBulliten, i'll happily pay for a secure forum.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

UrbanRacer wrote: f**k this, i'm tired waiting. I'm shifting to VBulliten, i'll happily pay for a secure forum.
Good for you, have fun with vB. :)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

why dont you just dload and install the 2.x line? you can modify it to your likings thanks to all the mods!

as for Vbulletin, heheheh..

bestweb

Post by bestweb »

I created a generally full-featured forum software for the Zend PHP5 competition and came 22nd, yay!). I was working alone, and it took me 3 to four months. In all, it was about 12,000 lines of code including templates. If you look at the number of lines in the CVS information for phpBB3, it's up at around 70,000 lines. I think it's safe to say that they have a lot more to go, so I'd estimate a few months.
moondream wrote: I would not rely on a release in the near future - not even beta. Everybody can make his own estimations when it will be done - but I will not post mine hire (as I am not a dev it is more or less a pure guess). If you need a bulletin board NOW, use phpBB2 or any other board. If you can wait months or even years until the stable release, then wait.
Fet up with waiting for phpBB3?
k4 Bulletin Board version 2.0-Dev

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

When will people learn that posting here about that you're switching to another forum software is like telling it to a stone wall... I guess they hope people will feel "sad" or whatever... but I guess we're just a wee bit more mature than that. :P
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

Wert

Post by Wert »

UrbanRacer wrote:
f**k

this, i'm tired waiting. I'm shifting to VBulliten, i'll happily pay for a secure forum.
Hey knock yourself out. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. :twisted:
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.