Now it's late-Feb/early-March!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
3000dark

Re: Now it's late-Feb/early-March!

Post by 3000dark »

wat gets me is they dont tell us wat stage their at they could be releasing it next week or next year for all we know!!! (im sure it wont be next year)
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 160 an error if any 1 can tell me how to fix it in the phpbb3 code pm me

Elarion

Post by Elarion »

And so what if it is? psoTFX has said countless times that he isn't going to post a release date because if he did and it was delayed, a lot of phpBB users would whine about it just like what has happened with the late-feb early march shizz thats going down now.

Sit tight and play around with the CVS if you really have to, just stop the whining for Jebs sake! :roll:

3000dark

Post by 3000dark »

no im not asking for a release data i wont 2 know how close they r to finishing i dont care about the release date well i do but i just want to know where the r in devlopment
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 160 an error if any 1 can tell me how to fix it in the phpbb3 code pm me

blacksheep

Post by blacksheep »

Many open-source/volunteer projects give schedules and update them as they go along. They are met with whining when dates aren't met yes, but that doesn't stop them. They respect their userbase and acknowledge that they don't deserve to be kept in the dark, regardless of whatever complications arise from particularly impatient or naive individuals.

People rely on phpbb. Volunteers work on phpbb for that reason. Phpbb wouldn't exist without people who use it. So just because it's free doesn't mean that the developers don't owe their users anything. They're not just developing software for themselves. They're developing it for others. By that philosophy, it follows that the users should be enlightened about the software's development progress. Out of general respect, developers should share their knowledge with their users.

Certainly, we can at least be told what's been done and what's left to do. And if the developers aren't giving a time estimate because they don't want to deal with those who misinterpret estimates as official deadlines, then that's the wrong reason. Certainly, there are many of us who understand that estimates are estimates. If someone doesn't understand that, that's *their* problem. Don't withold information and penalize us all! That's an ignorant and almost insulting approach. It's not our fault other people are idiots.

The notion of "It'll be done when it's done, so stop asking" is exactly the proprietary, closed-community, dictator-like attitude that the open source movement is supposed to alleviate. The users are the many. The developers and programmers are the few. We users want some information regarding the development of Olympus. I see no principle ground for the developers to stand on to defend their views regarding the witholding of such information.

Damn, I should have been a lawyer ;)

Grrrrump

Post by Grrrrump »

We have a target date of beta release by late February, early March. To this point, that appears to be a missed date. But since we haven't missed it by much, maybe it's premature to be asking for more information.

So, we know that they're close enough to the end of development to be talking about a public beta release, and we know that we are still roughly in the slot for that release. We also know that the developers claim to be unusually tied up with real life. I feel pretty good about what we know, frankly. If we get to some time in April and not even a word, then maybe we have a gripe.
"I hate trolls!" ~ Willow Ufgood

blacksheep

Post by blacksheep »

Yes, that seems fair enough. And in fact, the "attitude of the developers" that I mention is really moreso the "attitude of many of those defending the developers"--the developers themselves probably only contribute to a small part of this. It just seems that too many people are losing sight of the fact that asking for information regarding Olympus's development is a valid question. And I can imagine the ones asking get just as frustrated as the devs when their questions are met with the attitude I described in my last post.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here on behalf of those who feel they're being kept in the dark and whenever they ask what's going on, get shot down with "It's free software, stop complaining", and the like.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

There haven't been any changes to the files in the CVS since Feb. 10, so it's safe to assume that no work has been done on phpBB 3.0 in a month. That is, unless you're a conspiracy theorist and believe that there is a secret, off-line CVS in Area 51 - and I mean the real Area 51 in the desert of Nevada... Barring that, maybe it would be best not to lurk here on these boards for a while. Try back again in early-to-mid summer; then maybe you'll see a beta.

3000dark

Post by 3000dark »

i was just using the cvs version and it dont work at all u cant create forums and stuff like that it has massive bugs in it how can this forum be using the cvs version

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Not all work is committed to CVS the moment it's completed. It is true to say that none of the devs (myself included) have a lot of spare time right now so things have slowed again. I'm sure once we're on top of our own lives we'll pick the pace back up with 3.0. Don't panic, it's still gonna appear :D

3000dark

Post by 3000dark »

he said dont panic.
oh no im panicing it's like sayingdont think about fish
ah im thinking about fish