Questions for 3.0

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Aldenhier

Questions for 3.0

Post by Aldenhier »

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Where will it be first available for download? Here or on phpBB (with the sourceforge.net mirrors)?

2. Will the main site (phpbb.com) be in maintenence mode whenever they are upgrading? If so, how long will the upgrading take on phpBB.com site? Will it change the look of all of the other pages to fit with the new *unknown* style?

3. How long should the upgrading take on a vanilla phpBB? On a heavily modded?

Thanks,
-DKing

stubbers

Re: Questions for 3.0

Post by stubbers »

Heavily modded, your mod's will probably be completely erased by the upgrade script. That's what I was told! If you want to keep them, well that's virtually impossible! But why would you want to mod this, most of the mods are already incorperated into the system :)

Nullius

Post by Nullius »

stubbers wrote: Heavily modded, your mod's will probably be completely erased by the upgrade script. That's what I was told! If you want to keep them, well that's virtually impossible! But why would you want to mod this, most of the mods are already incorperated into the system :)
Or you will have to wait for developers to make their own upgrade-script for a specific mod ;)
Greetzzz,
Nullius

APTX

Post by APTX »

Attachements mod will work anyhow.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I really don't see that happening, my board was heavily modded but unfortunatley the people i was maintaining it for decided to cancel the site. My plan was to ditch the mods and just keep the database!

Graham

Post by Graham »

1. Supported versions (eg Beta and later) will be distributed in the same way as any other release

2. No comment

3. How long's a piece of string? There is no answer to this question since it will depend on the size of your board
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

ch3tzy
I've been banned

Post by ch3tzy »

stubbers wrote: I really don't see that happening, my board was heavily modded but unfortunatley the people i was maintaining it for decided to cancel the site. My plan was to ditch the mods and just keep the database!
stub.
It most likely wont work. ditching the mods, wont erase the database tables that were created. Ive had to re-start my whole forum, but at the moment im waiting for 3. so either u restart. or depending on your host.

have two forums running old and new. give members lets say a month to create there new username in the new forum.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

ch3tzy wrote:
stubbers wrote: I really don't see that happening, my board was heavily modded but unfortunatley the people i was maintaining it for decided to cancel the site. My plan was to ditch the mods and just keep the database!
stub.
It most likely wont work. ditching the mods, wont erase the database tables that were created. Ive had to re-start my whole forum, but at the moment im waiting for 3. so either u restart. or depending on your host.

have two forums running old and new. give members lets say a month to create there new username in the new forum.
Unless the mods you have installed have modified standard phpBB fields in standard phpBB tables, then you won't have a problem upgrading. phpBB simply won't touch the extra fields and/or tables and leave them intact (although any mods utilizing them would need to be rewritten).

ch3tzy
I've been banned

Post by ch3tzy »

wouldnt the un-used tables, slow the site down.?

APTX

Post by APTX »

You already had them in your previos phpBB and it worked.
You will be able to delete them. Manually if you must.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!