OK..so no date on the arrival of the new baby but...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
thatmtnman

OK..so no date on the arrival of the new baby but...

Post by thatmtnman »

will a migration tool be available? Now that is not nearly such a bad question, as a lot of us, are busting our butts doing mods, installing, trying to figure out what goes where, and it would not be so unreasonable to have such a tool, nor to ask?

OK...I know it...someone will bite my head off...but please don't...newbies have immunity! :>

Cheers

Frank

stubbers

Re: OK..so no date on the arrival of the new baby but...

Post by stubbers »

I think you are immune, if the search is down again. There will be an upgrade tool from the latest version of phpBB 2.0.XX up to phpBB 3.0.0 when it is released. However there will not be an upgrade path from the CVS. A question for the mods though, when the beta is released I presume there would be an upgrade path from that

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

There may be an upgrade path from the betas. No guarantees.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Yes, we will do our best to allow an upgrade from the Beta/RC releases but we can't guarantee it if something has to change too much - with 2.0 upgrade was possible from all but the first Beta.

From 2.0 to 3.0 it will be possible to upgrade from the latest 2.0.x release to 3.0.0. Upgrade with modifications should be possible with most, although the data from those MODs may be lost (the upgrade script will currently have support for 2 MODs wrt transferring the data - but MOD Authors should be able to provide changes to allow it to transfre their data as well)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I think with some knowledge of PHP and MySQL you will be able to upgrade from the CVS and the Beta ;). But I personally wouldn't do that.
May /dev/null be with you!

timsweb

Post by timsweb »

I was told that if i made a style for the CVS, it wont work with the Final, if i made one for the Beta will it work with the Final?

Thanks, Tim

Graham

Post by Graham »

Possibly. The only styles which are guaranteed to work with the final release are those created for the final release ;)

It certainly is not a good idea to create styles now, and the later down the line towards release you create it, the less changes it may need to work on the final release.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!