New Version Security

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
thedrumchannell

New Version Security

Post by thedrumchannell »

Will there be any kind of security advantage to using the new version or will it be fine to just mod my current forum and leave it be. Also I am trying to debate whether or not to upgrade becasue if there are not any other benifits besides all the new mods - is it really worth the upgrade.

Basically will there be any other kind of advantages making Olympus worth it?

Brandon
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
Prophecy Talk - World News & Bible Prophecy Information

Draegonis

Re: New Version Security

Post by Draegonis »

No, there is absolutley nothing in Olympus that will make it worth your while to upgrade. The developers have wasted the past 2 years. :)

thedrumchannell

I meant besides the extra mods and features. Is there a security benefit?
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell

Drexion

Post by Drexion »

There will be more releases in the 2.0.x line if any security issues arise or as necessary - thus if you are happy with the 2.0.x feature set, you do not have to upgrade, there is no need to if that is the case.
Security in both the 3.0.x and 2.0.x lines will remain an important issue, and the release of 3.0.x does not mean that 2.0.x will be ignored.
2.0.x support will also continue.

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

I think, but I'm not sure, that phpBB 3.0 has fixed some things that tend to be buggy security-wise. I've heard Paul say something like "the way the current system is in phpBB 2.0, there could be security issues lurking, so we're changing it in 3.0." I think it had something to do with either the search system, or slashing input, or maybe both.

thedrumchannell

I think, but I'm not sure, that phpBB 3.0 has fixed some things that tend to be buggy security-wise.
Thank you for the very honest & informative answer to my question. You have been a great help!

Brandon

Thedrumchannell