Will ACP be in templates?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Luciano

Will ACP be in templates?

Post by Luciano »

Had a glimpse at the acp.. very nice!!!

As I looked at the code it is hard-coded the time being..
So just one little question.. will there be templates?

I can live without them.. because some template sets were really a pain in the a... when it comes to admin panel.

I myself always kept the sub silver for the admin panel because it was easier to always have the same interface!

Luc

DeadEye686

Re: Will ACP be in templates?

Post by DeadEye686 »

IIRC, the ACP will not skinnable for the reasons you stated, and because of problems with skins actually breaking the ACP, preventing admins from changing it back. Just from my memory, as I can't search for the post.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

ACP pages will be hard-coded to help avoid security errors from poorly-written templates, and to avoid mods breaking functionality. Language files (themselves massive lists of PHP variables) will of course be in place to allow non-English speakers to see what the heck they're doing. :)
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Google Bot

Post by Google Bot »

Yes?

olger901

Post by olger901 »

I think a good idea would be just to make a seperate CSS file for the Admin Panel, so at least the colours and images can be adapted.
-

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

As said before, no the ACP will not be templated in the "classical" 2.x fashion. Why? For some very good reasons based on my experiences supporting hundreds, neigh thousands of people since 2.0 was released.

Few style designers ever did anything significant with the ACP. In many cases they didn't even bother altering the templates, merely applied their board stylesheet. The original reason I pushed templatable ACP was for hosting providers et al to offer a customised template consistent with their control panels, etc. AFAIK no provider ever made use of that.

The above led on more than a few occassions to issues ranging from "invisible" text through (to poorly altered template sets) missing options and broken forms.

The complexity of the ACP has (obviously) increased in 3.0. In turn the problems caused by the above two issues can only IMNSHO get worse.

The extra load generated by templating the ACP given the above three points is just a silly further issue that can be avoided.

However, we are (attempting) to centralise various elements of markup output in functions. This would make changing things relatively straightforward should you wish. The entire thing will be fully styled thus colours, etc. can be changed manually (though no online system for doing this will be included).

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

Why don't you modify the template.php so it works somehow like the Global Admin Template hack?

That way the ACP could still be templated avoiding the need to port templates to other themes...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I've stated my reasons as above I honestly won't reply further to this.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

markus_petrux wrote: Why don't you modify the template.php so it works somehow like the Global Admin Template hack?

That way the ACP could still be templated avoiding the need to port templates to other themes...
You can still do this once the forums are available. You will simply have to do it yourself.

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

psoTFX wrote: I've stated my reasons as above I honestly won't reply further to this.
Sorry, I don't understand why.

Keeping the ACP templated seems it might be easier to maintain since it uses same output generation engine.

Keeping the ACP templated with just one theme, avoids the problem for style/theme makers to think about it. ie. phpBB could just load templates from templates/admin instead of templates/theme/admin, etc.

I understand the ACP has been coded without templates and it means some work changing this now, but if a better approach is found it comes in benefit of future code maintenance, etc.