phpBB 2.2 Inherit Permission

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
orang

phpBB 2.2 Inherit Permission

Post by orang »

Hi,

I just read the features of phpBB 2.2. Anybody knows what "Inherit" permission is good for. I think this is very dangerous since we have many permissions and we could easily forget about inherit :roll:
phpBB is so great.

SolarFX

Re: phpBB 2.2 Inherit Permission

Post by SolarFX »

Inherit permissions is when you are setting permissions, you click on the preset "inherit parent" and it sets the permissions up exactly like the forum above it, or category. Or you can set the category and inherit it down on all forums and subforums below it- or select the ones you want to inherit. I don't know what you are talking about, dangerous? It's an awsome feature...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

plus it is a time saver and for consistency and is a standard/typical practice on other things like directories on computers with security settings like ACL lists that can be "propagated" from parent directories down to lower levels sort of like phpBB forums, etc.

There was some recent discussions about "simplifying" permissions, "factory defaults", etc. The current implementation is very powerful and has a number of simplifing features now, but we may see some changes by the time the beta comes out...

Mr.Jester

Post by Mr.Jester »

orang wrote:Hi,

I just read the features of phpBB 2.2. Anybody knows what "Inherit" permission is good for. I think this is very dangerous since we have many permissions and we could easily forget about inherit :roll:
There is nothing inherently dangerous about this setup. Lazy administrators are inherently dangerous. Inheriting permissions is what all current operating systems with ACL support do. Child inherits from parent. If there was such a risk to it, it would not be impletemented industry wide.

It is a common for people to think that something that is flexible, thus allowing you to more easily make a mistake is a flaw.

ybart10

Post by ybart10 »

Mr.Jester wrote:If there was such a risk to it, it would not be impletemented industry wide.
Unfortunately, there is no reason for this to be true. If this was true, viruses and security flaws, which cost to industy much more than what is necessary to avoid these flaws, would not exist.
However much flaws are avoided by a safe default configuration, wich is the case of phpBB.