Anyone had any luck updating from 2.0.x to 2.2?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
JoshPowell

Re: Anyone had any luck updating from 2.0.x to 2.2?

Post by JoshPowell »

BartVB wrote:Relatively easy? Hmm :) Quite a bit has changed in the database structure, BBcode, formatting, permissions, etc, etc. Writing a converter isn't something that you do in a few hours, especially if you're not extremely up to speed with how phpBB 2.2 handles things...
Yup.. it does seem radicaly different.

I love phpBB and all.. but I do think I will wait until at least the beta builds are out before I try to upgrade.. there are just too many bugs :) Of course I could try to work them out myself, but I wouldn't want to deprive all you devolopers of your fun ;)

Josh

grön

Post by grön »

IT ISNT ANY BUGGS IN A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!!!

Sorry for yelling, but in my opinon there cant be any "wrongs" in somthing that aint done yet, If I dig a hole in the ground thats gona be 5 meters deep, but I have only dug 2 meaters, is there somthing wrong with the hole then?
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

JoshPowell

Post by JoshPowell »

grön wrote:IT ISNT ANY BUGGS IN A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!!!

Sorry for yelling, but in my opinon there cant be any "wrongs" in somthing that aint done yet, If I dig a hole in the ground thats gona be 5 meters deep, but I have only dug 2 meaters, is there somthing wrong with the hole then?
I disagree, take Firefox for example, the pre-1.0 releases where "devolopment versions", are you to say they didn't have any bugs? Why do you think they had bugzilla?

A bug is simply something that hasn't been completed yet, or hasn't been implimented, or fully implimented yet.

Josh

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

A "bug" is something which causes an application to deviate from its normal or intended operation.

APTX

Post by APTX »

psoTFX wrote:A "bug" is something which causes an application to deviate from its normal or intended operation.
What would be a new feature then?
BartVB wrote:Relatively easy? Hmm Quite a bit has changed in the database structure, BBcode, formatting, permissions, etc, etc. Writing a converter isn't something that you do in a few hours, especially if you're not extremely up to speed with how phpBB 2.2 handles things...
Thank god we have someone like a phpbb DEV to do it for us and even for free!
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

JoshPowell wrote:I disagree, take Firefox for example, the pre-1.0 releases where "devolopment versions", are you to say they didn't have any bugs? Why do you think they had bugzilla?
that's the problem right there. Firefox had releases...phpBB 2.1.x is NOT a release at all, simply at look at what the developers are doing.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!

SamG

Post by SamG »

Exactly. Until we see a release of phpBB 2.2 of some sort it's premature to go on a bug hunt. To hunt bugs now would be like a hunter waking up each morning to new terrain and new game :) .

The bug hunt begins in earnest with the beta releases. At that point the situation regarding the reporting of bugs will change, since the development team will be ready to receive bug reports at that point.

Keep your orange vests handy ...
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

grön

Post by grön »

BartVB wrote:Relatively easy? Hmm :) Quite a bit has changed in the database structure, BBcode, formatting, permissions, etc, etc. Writing a converter isn't something that you do in a few hours, especially if you're not extremely up to speed with how phpBB 2.2 handles things...
Ah you know they just wanna look 1337!!
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I wouldn't say it is premature to hunt bugs, you just have to check that they still exist when they do hit beta.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

SamG

Post by SamG »

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. Maybe I should have said that bug hunters are very much hunting moving targets, and that needs to be kept in mind when deciding whether or not to hunt bugs at all. Feature implementation involves refinements perhaps even on a gloal scale, incomplete code involves revision perhaps even on a global scale, and so on. Bugs will come and bugs will go at this stage of things.

So I dunno ... to me it's not a community priority until beta, but that's just me. :?
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood