sub-site forums

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Viperal2

Re: sub-site forums

Post by Viperal2 »

ok to clearify, the thing you need to worry about,

Caching

that is the ACL list, It is normally inside in user table but if you upgrading and have alot of uses i recommend you delete the acl table every time you ajust the user permission or anything related to it

the Config table cache, well you know same thing as above, but with the site wide configuration

Solution
Well I since there on the same server you can have a a script that deletes these file on the server, or you can be more brave and edit the acm system so it ajust the cahce auto matically. Or just delete those files your self or wait for the file to expire 8O .

Ass far as cookie since there on different path well , you HAVE to either use it less secure way of making it all for the same domain.. Or you can just add a line in the common file

Put befor the data goes to the cache
$config['cookie_path'] = 'path';
$config['cookie_domain'] = 'sadfdsfas';

just add it right after the chace retieval and save code, lest lines to add and it wouldn't mather.

haven't tested these, but it might work, depending on how the broswer behavess you'll either have two seperate cookie,

will still afferect the user view and not view forum and post since it also check the user last visit ( you can either modify the db and add a seperate on for each forum, not sure if erasing the code would help since it is alot of data so don't recommend it s the seperate thing would be good )
Ptirhiik_ wrote:This will (at least at this time facing 2.1) with phpBB 2.2. Also, I'm far from sure it works like a charm with phpBB 2.0.x : what if you visit one board, close the window, and then visit the second ? I think not much unreaded topics remains ... Wink
thanks Ptirhiik_ should of explain more it would not work as a chime unless do do more modifying. :D

Viperal
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

Mr.Jester

Post by Mr.Jester »

I solved the global config issue by making a copy of the _config table and adjusting constants.php for each site to point to the appropriate table. I don't think there is much of a security issue involved, since all sites are on the same server and using the same User tables. Also, by having the cookie domain differnet, it kills the session between the sites.

We have 300 - 400 active users tops, so I don't think the ACL will be stressed by any means across the sites. Though, I may need to mod all sites to point to the same cache dir.

We are not really worried about having the stats seperated per site, though some day down the line, we will fix that, I am sure.

A new issue we are running across is keeping some continuity. We want to be able to link to the external site via the forum. Is it possible to have the link for a forum actually be a link to another site?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

> Viperal2 & Mr. Jester : it is not really the place to talk about phpBB 2.0.x, but this is valuable for both 2.1 and 2.0 : to share a users table between many board, the clean solution is to not have the board specific counters in the users table, but in a new separated table, identified by the board id (or board table prefix) and user id, readed linked with the users table. It decreases lightly the perf. of the board, but not in the same amount than willing to recache at any time and any page users acl and other vars (ie preferences). phpBB 2.1 requires a new table, in phpBB 2.0 you can use the groups table adding fields, filled for individuals groups, or a separate table there too. Take great care that with phpBB 2.0.x, creating a user in one board is not enough to ensure security : you have to create also the individual group for each board.