Template and style development interface

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
libertate

Template and style development interface

Post by libertate »

The current style interface is functional, but minimalistic.

The template system has no interface to it, other then diving into the code itself.

I looked at the code of templates, and it seems there should be little trouble developing an add-on piece (be it a "MOD" or otherwise), which would allow the development of complete templates through "drag-and-drop" instead of coding.

I think this would seriously increase the value of phpBB to not just existing users, but to potential converts, and new users.

I think most people are scared away from the templates, but in turn feel they do not want the "generic" or "not-made-here" templates.

Any takers? I buy you a six pack if you deliver...

(darn how do I move it to other forum, once posted? this isnt the right one)
Libertate
P i s c e s _ M o r t u i s _ S o l i s _ Q u a e _ N a t a n t _ C u m _ F l u c t u m

subBlue

Re: Template and style development interface

Post by subBlue »

Something like that would definately be possible but would probably have to be a mod.

One way of doing it would have a flash movie with a generic layout that would allow you to click-select an element, then interactively change the colours and see the result update in the flash movie in realtime. The results of this could change the corresponding elements via the style sheet. Obviously the flash preview would only be an approximation, especially if you changed the layout of your template, but it could be a neat way of creating new colour schemes.

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

That's a really cool idea.

hater

Post by hater »

This could be totally feasable without using flash at all, and using CSS as it's intended to be used and have on-the-fly template changes and additions. Lately I've found a GREAT amount of info on CSS just by searching for some new ideas and ways of using CSS for everything, which is simply astonishing in its design using XHTML.

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

You could also have a Preview Forum feature that alllowed you to see the changes you make from the ACP.

libertate

Post by libertate »

Although doing it through Flash would be quite... flashy... it would cause some problems in some slow lines, browsers, etc. etc.

I am sure it could be done with the combination of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. With those three, as suggested a preview pane can be seen.

The idea is the everything is already "objectified", so why not allow just to move the objects around where the sysop wants it, and how to display it?

Each object has various properties, color, size, font, box size, triggers (like have to be logged in, belong to group, etc.), wrap around, and display it accordingly.

This development interface would just generate the appropriate .tpl, from each subset codes.
Libertate
P i s c e s _ M o r t u i s _ S o l i s _ Q u a e _ N a t a n t _ C u m _ F l u c t u m

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

TPL? No more tpl files here ;)
Rob

libertate

Post by libertate »

ok, so it's not TPL. Roberdin, you must be the kind of person that notices the ding on your passanger side instantly when coming out to the parking lot. Never mind the Mac truck speeding your way, loaded with gravel, no breaks and honking madly! That nasty ding on the door...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding. Ok, so it's not .TPL - whatever it needs to be, but what do you think about the concept?
Libertate

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

TBH, I have no idea WTF you just said. WTH is a ding? (Don't drive, don't live in the US) :P ;)

Anyways, cool idea, but it would be difficult to code, and I think that makes it unrealistic as a non-essential extra, especially as most style developers will probably continue to do without it.
Rob

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

CSS is definately cool, but until Microsoft gets off it's behind and fixes their lackluster browser, can't really be used to it's potential.
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB