Installing 2.1.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Loki

Installing 2.1.2

Post by Loki »

Uh, lately I haven't been able to install the snapshots, is it just my computer or is there an error in the files somewhere?

A an answer "its you" or "its not you" would be appreciated

MarkS

Re: Installing 2.1.2

Post by MarkS »

If you read the rules, no official support is offered for the CVS snapshots.
But as a friendly member, I will tell you that there are small 'errors', more like incomplete things, that will prevent you from installing. You'll just have to wait awhile longer before the developers feel the time is right to complete those features along the way.
Proud supporter of the phpBB Group!
No Support via E-Mail, MSN, or PM
phpBB v2.2
and the future begins now...

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

'Tis the nature of CVS ... Remember, things are not exactly stable. That's why we are on m2 and not gold.

CreatixEA

Post by CreatixEA »

Question for psoFTX...
When you commit things not finished that could'nt be installed... We can't because we don't know when was the last correct commit. Is there a way to note some snapshots as intermediar-stable... Did you understand what I mean ?

Something like here: you update this forum engine only when you thing this is an intermediar-stable version...
Is there a possibility to release it in a special forum for exemple ?

DoD

Post by DoD »

I think the error could be there on purpose. To install it, you need knowledge of PHP and MySQL (or other). I can see why its done... to reduce the number of people with a "working" CVS. The only people who would moan are the people who dont know how to fix the small bugs.

Its not your error its not installing, but you must fix that error yourself, and every error rather than posting it here.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

/me tries not to blow his top ...
CreatixEA wrote:When you commit things not finished that could'nt be installed... We can't because we don't know when was the last correct commit. Is there a way to note some snapshots as intermediar-stable... Did you understand what I mean
How can I put this? NO ... we have stated dozens, hundreds perhaps even thousands of times that 2.1 CVS is under development. I and my team will not waste time fixing things up or producing "instructions" on how to set up something we don't recommend people use unless they know what they are doing. If you can't fix problems, don't use it, await the beta release.

Loki

Post by Loki »

jeez I just wanted to know if it was my computer, as I changed some settings for my server and stuff

CreatixEA

Post by CreatixEA »

I didn't want to offense you, just ask if it's possible to share the version running on area51.phpbb.com only that. Sorry if it hurted anyone ... :oops:

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You didn't "hurt" anyone nor "offend" anyone ... it's just becoming incredibly tiresome to keep repeating ourselves wrt snapshots, etc.

R45

Post by R45 »

/me doesn't understand how people can't realise that if Paul has to spend time doing things to make the snapshots useable or user friendly, it slows down development time.

CVS is a system for developing code, not for releasing!