Some Question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ptirhiik_

Re: Some Question

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Indeed, I don't see the point of having renamed .tpl into .html, except having some editors like dreamweaver that will directly screw the source with no warning at first opening, and enhance comfusion between templates and final displayed pages, but anyway, this is not something that make me stop to sleep ;). If devs think that it is better, there is no problem with me, as I won't certainly no more use this kind of crapy tools html editors are.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Lord Illicious wrote:I dont think i follow you SamG

I understand what the template system is for as you explained but what i dont get is why the template system was changed from the TPL files to the HTML extensions.
Main reason ive read is that HTML templates are easier to handle/create/edit for the newbees.

Thats fine but my point is that if a newbe doesnt know how to assign specific program to handle TPL files then how would they know how to create or edit a phpbb2 template?

This makes it harder and more time consuming for the experienced users where their file extensions are already assigned to their specific programs.

Lets take a simple example:
Double Clicking on a tpl file may open it up in a notepad or HTML editor like Dreamweaver. That is it would open up in whatever action you assign it to.

Double Clicking on a HTML file would have the it open up in your browser, HTML quick slide viewer or whatever you assign it to. There wouldnt be a way to assign phpBB2 HTML template files to one program and the rest outside the template to another.
This only way would be the function (winxp) of right click and open with...

Not that bad but still a little annoying and can be confusing since all the HTML and Template HTML files open up the same way.

I would assume that most web designers and webmasters are now dealing with more other files extension and coding than the HTML or HTM extensions.
Years ago i use to have mostly HTML files to deal with but now its PHP, ASP, JS, DHTML, XML, CSS etc etc and they all are assigned their own programs to work with.

I have worked with a portal system that use the HTML file extension as its template system but totally gave up on it since so many mistakes, lost content and annoying errors were made dealing with it.

I think phpBB 2.2 will be the best forum avalable and i will have to just reorganize my filing system to accommodate this template system.

Not complaining but just concerned.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

SamG

Post by SamG »

I follow this, and it will be interesting to see how it actually does work out after 2.2 release.

But I wonder if most people who are running forums will not already know how to edit an HTML file, if they have an editor like Dreamweaver installed.

Here is the problem, from my point of view. I tried mapping .tpl in GoLive and just was never really satisfied with working with part of a page. Especially while trying to "reverse engineer" subSilver. It was hard to see how everythig fit together.

So to me, whatever the files are called, working with a whole, complete page was easier, and I am thinking it will be for most people new to Web development.

At that point, the process becomes like working with any other Web page, and I can't help but think that anybody who has invested in Dreamweaver will understand how that process works for their particular platform. In Windows, for example, to call the editor for an HTML file is a right click, and that's whether the file is a phpBB template chunk or not.

I'm not disagreeing that there could be problems, but then, I think working directly with the .tpl isn't real straightforward either, from a newbie point of view. So I guess we'll have to see. But I'm just trying to make clear that the template system as a whole, whatever extension the files have, is easier to work with. And I'm also trying to suggest that for people who have problems working with the templates directly (people like me), that working first with saved complete pages is an alternative. Then, the template extension isn't an issue.

But on the naming convention itself, to me, the biggest single advantage to a template file named .html is that its purpose is clearer to a new user than the purpose of a file named .tpl, which has no immediate meaning to people unless they already know it's a web page template.

So I dunno ... however it's done, there's a learning curve, I guess.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

It would suppose a template is an html page, what is not. It is only a ressource : the true "html" page are the .php :).

TheMole

Post by TheMole »

A HTML page, by definition is a page which contains hypertext markup language. Nothing more, nothing less.

Therefore the new template pages ARE HTML pages.
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

And there you are certain that the tpls are the resulting page displayed :). Woops ! Too bad, actually it is the php page which is processed and displayed by your browser, never the HTML ressource :). That's what I call ressources : something to dig in for usage. What you are explain me is a dictionary is a novel. Sadly no, it is only a collection of words ;). Words game ? Not really, when you see where this comfusion can drive a webmaster not comfortable with templating usages and integration.

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

And of course like eveything else in phpBB you are free to change it to whatever you like. If you like .tpl just change everything back to that.

I personally like the extension .psoTFX so I think I will use that. :twisted:

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

This is not so easy : you can change the .php to whatever you want as long as the server accept it, but .html/.tpl are qualified in all the sources at this time : this would require to modify all scripts refering them. But it is only a detail ;).

edit: and btw, this is an idea for the tracker list :).

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

What is? Changing the template extension? The chances of it happening are near enough zero to as not be worth your time submitting.

mercifull

Post by mercifull »

the xtreme styles mod enables php code in the tpl files in phpbb2.0.x
will php code be allowed in the new html files for phpbb2.2 as standard or will this require a mod like in previous versions