Quick Reply

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
psoTFX

Re: Quick Reply

Post by psoTFX »

/me notes he's already commented on the situation several times now ...

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

We're just trying to help you out by finding the best way to implement it, if u were too.
Rob

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No. you're just becoming annoying. If we implement it we'll do it an appropriate manner. This to me looks like nothing more than badgering which I don't like. I've noted we're aware of the significaint minority/majority border that would like Quickreply type facilities. I've noted that while we do not presently intend to include it we have not said "No" entirely. I don't see what else there is that really needs continuing discussion at this point.

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Unless I'm mistaken it should be extremely easy just to copy/paste some HTML for a quick reply box into the view topic template at the easiest. It's just a form pointing to the right script with the right named fields at it's simplest.
Images in sigs! please.

.vash

Post by .vash »

if it is that easy to implement a Quick Reply Mod (and it really is IMO, i set it up twice and it cost me 5 minutes), why bothering about putting it into 2.2?

If it comes with it - fine,
if it does not, also fine, because it really is just a matter of a few minutes to make it work
there are 10 types of different people ... those who understand binaries and those who don't

Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

I don't even understand the point of a Quick Reply box. It just clutters design. If you actually need to post whatever it is you're posting, then click 'Reply'. Wanting Quick Reply functionality just shows how lazy we've all become. :roll:

.vash

Post by .vash »

as a matter of fact, most of the phpbb boards viewed with a proper connection load the reply page faster than I can take my hand of the Mouse and hit "End", while most of the people would try to scroll down with the mouse wheel ... :mrgreen:
there are 10 types of different people ... those who understand binaries and those who don't

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That assumes everyone is on a high-speed connection... which they aren't.
Rob

VaLUnTriAn

Post by VaLUnTriAn »

heimidal wrote:I don't even understand the point of a Quick Reply box. It just clutters design. If you actually need to post whatever it is you're posting, then click 'Reply'. Wanting Quick Reply functionality just shows how lazy we've all become. :roll:
You can use JavaScript to hide it until you click quick reply. That would also help deter people who just want to post because they can and make it easy to reply without loading a whole new page for those who really want to post.
VaLUnTriAn

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

What deters people is the wating time. A little javascript based click will reveal it all instantly.
Rob