Quick question about Jabber

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Legoguy

Quick question about Jabber

Post by Legoguy »

When I reinstalled my 2.1 forum today I took note that my server doesn't have mhash support...
Do the Jabber functions require mhash? I looked through the functions_jabber.php file and it looks as though it does...although those @'s might prove me wrong...
When setting up Jabber in the admin panel I got as far as to get an error of "Could not authorise on Jabber server"

I'm not asking for help; just wanting to know if I should have my host install mhash.

psoTFX

Re: Quick question about Jabber

Post by psoTFX »

mhash is used for "encrypting" the jabber auth exchange ... if it's available it'll be used (if the server accepts it), else it should fall back to plain text.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Another quick question - these transport layers for MSN etc, does that mean I can contact people on MSN through the board's Jabber system like my JAJC thingy does?
Rob

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

That's my hoped for intention ... operation is somewhat sporadic and requires the server you use to have support for said transports. I'm not sure MSN will be available since they changed their protocol.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Yeah, MSN are implementing new security checks soon or something :x
Rob

Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

So that might be my cause for problem...Hmm...
[edit]
Guess not, I still get a can't authorise error when I click submit when I have Jabber as disabled, and a "An error occured trying to register this account, 3" error when I have it set to enabled.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The former is an oversight, the later I've no idea unless you give me more feedback ... which server? Have you tried logging into that account via a jabber client?

PS: Your avatar is broken.

Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

The server is myjabber.net; and I am logged into it currently. I have tried doing the jabber setup when I was both logged out and logged into it in trillian pro 2, no luck in either situation.

My avatar is broken because I moved servers, and it's not fixed because changing my avatar in the preferences returns "ARRAY" ;)

If you would be so kind as to manually change it to http://legographics.net/lego_avatar2_mm2c.png" target="_blank I would be more than happy ;)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I've managed to register on and send messages via myjabber.net okay this evening. 3 indicates (or appears to indicate ... I'm still somewhat learning XMPP/Jabber myself) that phpBB failed to receive a return packet from the server after it requested a registration. Like I said, I didn't get this error myself. If the account exists already then ensure the correct username and password are entered.

You can update the avatar yourself ;)

Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

I'm pretty darn sure my account info is right... :?

Might the fact that my webhost is (unfortunatley) on the spamhaus list as being a spammer (WAS, way before I got a host there...) mess stuff up? Not sure if Jabber uses blacklists or not...

About the avatar...no more Array, but now it won't apply the change ;)
At least, it won't store the link to my off-site avatar...

But uploading it from a URL works ;)