Why Open Source

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
snowwons

Why Open Source

Post by snowwons »

Im drunk... so sorry for the sorta off topic post... but... I really want to know... Why Open Source... Not that I disagree with the ideas and such... but a dedicated bunch like you all I was wondering why do you personally put your precious time into such a demanding project…

There are people who disparage your work people who praise it to high heaven and people who are in between... but what is the driving force to keep you coming back and making such a great project....

What ever the motivation(s)… Thanks for the great work… Not only I, but lots others appreciate it…

Thanks
Matt

BTW… phpBB Portal… I do not know how long the “More details will be available soon.” But I was wondering do you guys have a preliminary road map available?... If not just ignore… I’ll get the picture when I’m sober…
Blokker_1999

Re: Why Open Source

Post by Blokker_1999 »

Simple, a website can't be made closed source. Once you distribute it the source is out :lol: . If you are wondering why on this early stage? For feedback. So people can bring in fresh ideas
evilmonkey

Post by evilmonkey »

Well, Vbulletin.

Personally, I think that Open Source is great. I am a PHP coder myself (in my spare time), and i know I would gladly open source my scripts if someone asked. This way the community keeps going forward, and so does progress. Look how fast *nix grows, and look how fast Window$ is growing. Open Source projects grow very fast, while closed source is just out for money.

Cheers from Toronto!
VP Information Technology, Tmeet. http://www.tmeet.com" target="_blank
University of Toronto Management Student.
haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Plus Open Source can have anything while closed source can only have things which come with it since editing scripts, creating new scripts etc are a breach of the agreement in using the software
Images in sigs! please.
killshot

Post by killshot »

How does phpbb support itself?
aside from all the time donated there must be costs involved
I love phpBB and its great that it is free
but i also support paying for software i use (so long as it is a reasonable price)

If there even was a handy paypal donate button i would gladly contribute
snowwons

Post by snowwons »

All thought the original post didn’t quite get to the point, let me rephrase the question to try to get where I was going and maybe start an interesting conversation in the process.

When I said “why open source”, the question should have been more along the lines “why phpBB”. There are a ton of projects out there that a developers skills could be used to help with. Why does this particular project continue to attract skilled developers who dedicate their time (and sanity) to allow people all over the world to create their own online communities?

If you are a developer, what got you started in the first place (welcome all dev people from mods to dev team)? Personally what do you see this growing into that keeps you going and sane?

I personally see the people / “volunteers” developing these kinds of applications (open source and / or free / open source) just as important as “volunteers” manning the soup kitchens or the local youth groups… These kinds of applications, again in my opinion, can allow, and I hope will allow, groups to form for the better good of humanity. Of course, we need those Quake 3 boards also… =o)

I hope to here back, but just as the first post said, your silence will speak just as loudly as your words…

Keep up the good work :P
-Matt
soxie

Post by soxie »

killshot wrote:How does phpbb support itself?
aside from all the time donated there must be costs involved
I love phpBB and its great that it is free
but i also support paying for software i use (so long as it is a reasonable price)

If there even was a handy paypal donate button i would gladly contribute
There actually isn't alot donated money wise. Although, Frank kindly hosts our site for free. :)
snowwons wrote:If you are a developer, what got you started in the first place (welcome all dev people from mods to dev team)? Personally what do you see this growing into that keeps you going and sane?
I'm not a developer, but I think I can answer this :D theFinn (James) started this forum about 3 years ago, because he didn't find the current boards back then 'up to par' with what he wanted. :)
brian.
http://itsbrian.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
mattd89

Post by mattd89 »

evilmonkey wrote:Well, Vbulletin.
Yeah, I HATE Vbulliten so much! Why bother paying out for that when you can get the same here for free ? It'd be OK if they installed and maintained it for you, but they don't (at least to my knowledge). Thank goodness this is open-source, or I might just kill myself :D
Ghent

Post by Ghent »

Yeah, I HATE Vbulliten so much! Why bother paying out for that when you can get the same here for free ? It'd be OK if they installed and maintained it for you, but they don't (at least to my knowledge). Thank goodness this is open-source, or I might just kill myself
vBulletin is good. It has many features, that phpBB only gets now.

DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME... I like phpBB, and I appreciate, what you are doing. I'm also waiting paitiently because I think you are cool, you want to use some of your spare time for us!

But there is some reasons, that vB costs monet :wink:
/Ghent
mattd89

Post by mattd89 »

killshot wrote: If there even was a handy paypal donate button i would gladly contribute
That's actually a good idea, so that phpbb can be supported more. Clever ! :D