Dealing with inactive users

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dranor

Dealing with inactive users

Post by Dranor »

I use the phpBB structure with my page (giving aditional features to registered users), but i have a great problem: inactive users, there's a lot of $$%%"·"· users that doesn't activate their accounts.
For now, the only thing that y can do is run a query from phpmyadmin and delete them "by hand". But I saw in a working CVS install that there was a nice form that allows you to delete or remind that users that they should activate their accounts.

Will be this feature included in final 2.2? Are there plans to extend that?

I'm getting tired of deleting users by hand :P

PS: sorry for my poor english

psoTFX

Re: Dealing with inactive users

Post by psoTFX »

Yes, inactive users are listed on the index of the ACP ... you can activate, remind or delete them.

primedomain

Post by primedomain »

BTW, there's also a MOD that might be useful: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... tive+prune" target="_blank
Last edited by primedomain on Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dranor

Post by Dranor »

primedomain wrote:
BTW, there's also a MOD that might be useful: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... tive+prune" target="_blank
Didn't work for me as i expected..

jiji

Post by jiji »

oh goody!!! :D
this is something that needed!!!
I have so many users that dont even active their accounts...that at one time I thought something was wrong with my board.... :lol:

rghollenbeck

Post by rghollenbeck »

psoTFX wrote:Yes, inactive users are listed on the index of the ACP ... you can activate, remind or delete them.
Is this people who didn't go to their email and click on the link to activate their accounts?

I went to the ACP and found a lot of zero posters listed as inactive. Could some of them be potential spammers? I got a complaint from a lady who said she could not log in. She made three different usernames in an attempt to login. They were all listed as inactive.

Is there another way somebody can become listed as inactive?

Something I discovered since I first posted this: over 90% of the active people who never ever post anything have an email address that is on a spam watch list. I click on their username, click on "Administrate User", copy their email address and Google the email address. Sure 'Nuff! So, instead of simply deleting the user, I ban their IP address. That should help me identify a pattern, such as "46.109.195.___" I am considering banning the entire lot of them. Can we do that? Simply ban
" 46.109.19*.* "?
Last edited by rghollenbeck on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

If they change their email address their account will become inactive until they verify it via the link they would receive in that new email account.