Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by DavidIQ »

MODs will not be allowed/accepted for 3.1.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I have created or modified over 100 boards and I am pretty sure most of my clients will not want to update. They spent a lot of money to developing custom MODs for example custom marketplaces, custom auctions, connected authentication with their blogging / gaming platforms etc, They have no reason to update because 3.1 does not offer almost any improvements for admins / users.

Many big platforms support and release minor new versions for older branch and apply some improvements from new branch to older one.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Kamahl19 wrote:I have created or modified over 100 boards and I am pretty sure most of my clients will not want to update. They spent a lot of money to developing custom MODs for example custom marketplaces, custom auctions, connected authentication with their blogging / gaming platforms etc, They have no reason to update because 3.1 does not offer almost any improvements for admins / users.

Many big platforms support and release minor new versions for older branch and apply some improvements from new branch to older one.
You're absolutely wrong. For starters 3.1 offers what 3.0 cannot with extensions. That your clients will not be able to upgrade now because you've basically tied them down to 3.0 by heavily modifying the core code instead of using hooks as much as possible has nothing to do with what improvements are present in 3.1. There are style improvements, code improvements, new features etc. We've opened up the extension creation process on phpbb.com so that there are extensions to use when 3.1 goes live. There's no reason to downplay the many hours spent by developers and contributors with improving 3.1 just because you've cornered yourself into using 3.0 for the foreseeable future.

People holding out and sticking to 3.0 should not really be a surprise for anyone. The same thing happened with 2.0 when 3.0 came out and, to date, there are STILL 2.0 boards out in the wild (I've even heard there are 1.0 boards out there... :shock: ). Just because 3.0 will still be used for some years to come does not mean that we will now continue to update and maintain it. It is already in a maintenance/bug fix status and will remain this way until it reaches EOL.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Yes of course, for starters is 3.1 much much better then 3.0. I am looking forward to 3.1 and next major branches. However I am talking about existing boards.

I use so "hooks" system in 3.0 where it is possible, I dont heavily modify core code. For example, few days ago I finished custom marketplace MOD simmilar to themeforest integrated into phpbb, because my client wants to sell digital goods via forum and I did only 2 changes to phpbb code, one in php and one in html. But converting all MODs and changes to 3.1 would still cost a lot of resources. Why would they do that if they have fully functional forum with all features and functions they needed.

Again, I wont use 3.0 for new forums, actually few of my clients already have 3.1 RC1 because they agreed that is better option if they are creating new board. But I cant force anyone to update from 3.0 to 3.1.

Just saying, many platforms apply improvements from new branch to older branch. It is pretty common. Thats why I asked if there is somebody interested in this and that I can help with that, because I already applied some improvements to prosilver for my client.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
It's been longer than that and people are still using phpBB 2.0. :shock:
Jessica. wrote:I will never update.
Not even if all of your MODs are released as phpBB 3.1 extensions?

Steve
Nope, I made personal changes to some of the mods to fit my "needs/wants". Not experienced much on extensions, so I don't know if I can do that with extensions...

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Kamahl19 wrote:Yes of course, for starters is 3.1 much much better then 3.0. I am looking forward to 3.1 and next major branches. However I am talking about existing boards.

I use so "hooks" system in 3.0 where it is possible, I dont heavily modify core code. For example, few days ago I finished custom marketplace MOD simmilar to themeforest integrated into phpbb, because my client wants to sell digital goods via forum and I did only 2 changes to phpbb code, one in php and one in html. But converting all MODs and changes to 3.1 would still cost a lot of resources. Why would they do that if they have fully functional forum with all features and functions they needed.

Again, I wont use 3.0 for new forums, actually few of my clients already have 3.1 RC1 because they agreed that is better option if they are creating new board. But I cant force anyone to update from 3.0 to 3.1.

Just saying, many platforms apply improvements from new branch to older branch. It is pretty common. Thats why I asked if there is somebody interested in this and that I can help with that, because I already applied some improvements to prosilver for my client.
Unfortunately thats a marketing issue not really an issue with 3.1 Their are plenty of improvements and reasons for them to upgrade you just have to point them out and sell them on it. this might be a little easier once an official release happens as you will have a full list f improvements at your disposal to leverage them with. Obviously their will be those who may not initially need an upgrade but that won't be the case forever ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Mess

Post by Mess »

Jessica. wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
It's been longer than that and people are still using phpBB 2.0. :shock:
Jessica. wrote:I will never update.
Not even if all of your MODs are released as phpBB 3.1 extensions?

Steve
Nope, I made personal changes to some of the mods to fit my "needs/wants". Not experienced much on extensions, so I don't know if I can do that with extensions...
You have not experienced much on extensions. And will never update to 3.1.
Gotcha...

I guess its up to personal preference, but watch out it docent turn into a crusade. You can´t stop evolution. ;)

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I think having updated version of prosilver for 3.0.x similar to 3.1 will be very useful. One of the main front end changes people will notice in 3.1 is the responsive prosilver and I don't see whats wrong with adapting some of it to the 3.0.x version.

So +1 from me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Alien_Time wrote:I think having updated version of prosilver for 3.0.x similar to 3.1 will be very useful. One of the main front end changes people will notice in 3.1 is the responsive prosilver and I don't see whats wrong with adapting some of it to the 3.0.x version.

So +1 from me.
the fact that it requires massive core changes to allow for it
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Why should there be core change if only the css and html is edited to make it responsive, newer button layouts etc..? We are not talking about replacing 3.0.x prosilver with 3.1 prosilver and I understand this will not work without core changes. But if we are editing 3.0.x prosilver with only the css changes by adapting the techniques used in 3.1, then just the style folder needs to be edited isint it? I thought this is what Kamahl was saying unless I've misunderstood.