Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am

Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by Kamahl19 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 pm

I was thinking about applying some changes from 3.1 prosilver to 3.0 prosilver. Would be somebody interested in this? I applied things like CSS buttons and some other for one of my clients.

Will there by new 3.0.x version after 3.1 is released? Many people will continue using 3.0 branch because there wont be so many extensions at first. Maybe first year..

Is there any chance, these changes would be used in 3.0.x release if somebody (me and maybe someone else) did it?

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Not very likely. It would probably break many MODs.
Image

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by Kamahl19 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Well at least most visible things like CSS buttons, max width, responsive layout.. I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years, 3.1 does not bring so many pros for boards which already are modified and are working good, so admins will not update.

User avatar
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by hanakin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max

User avatar
Jessica.
Registered User
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by Jessica. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 pm

hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
I disagree. I think a lot of people whose boards have a ton of mods - like mine - will not be updating at all. I know I never will update my main board. Therefore, 3.0.x will still be used for a long time

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 am

Jessica. wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
I disagree. I think a lot of people whose boards have a ton of mods - like mine - will not be updating at all. I know I never will update my main board. Therefore, 3.0.x will still be used for a long time
@ Jessica - You will never update or you won't update until the mods you use are available on 3.1?

User avatar
Jessica.
Registered User
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by Jessica. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am

I will never update.

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:33 am

hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
It's been longer than that and people are still using phpBB 2.0. :shock:
Jessica. wrote:I will never update.
Not even if all of your MODs are released as phpBB 3.1 extensions?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by hanakin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 am

Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote: I believe 3.0.x will still be used for several years.
not going to be the case! I give it 2-3yrs max
It's been longer than that and people are still using phpBB 2.0. :shock:
Jessica. wrote:I will never update.
Not even if all of your MODs are released as phpBB 3.1 extensions?

Steve
exactly if a new theme is introduced. one that is a lot easier to work with than prosilver you will see a lot of mods/extensions adopt it very quickly. Just to get ride of the horrible pain of prosilver. As for subsilver its for this exact reason, the code base for it is cleaner and more straight forward to work with.

User avatar
KurtisC
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Applying changes in 3.1 to 3.0 prosilver

Post by KurtisC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 am

What about mods that edit the core? I've been wondering recently what changes have been made because on my website, there's been a few edits to files in the language and includes folders.

Obviously a thorough test would have to be undertaken, but is there provision for updated mods or do I have to reimplement every one?

Post Reply