Simplifying Template ?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
foxmask1

Simplifying Template ?

Post by foxmask1 »

I dont know if phpBB Team cares about all the MOD, phpBB fan's made, but, i found very very frustrating to have to modify all the template files we own when we would like to install just a theme.
Does all this things will be simplify in phpBB3 ?

regards.

DoubleJ

Re: Simplifying Template ?

Post by DoubleJ »

No
if a mod changes something in a template then if you install new templates you will have to add those modifications there too.
DoubleJ - Blah

dhn

Post by dhn »

Let me just add that the new style system allows for very intelligent template handling. If the MOD author isn't a complete idiot, he will not change existing templates but add his own. So, instead of providing a new viewtopic.html to add a quick reply MOD for instance, you only need to add one small include in your exisiting viewtopic.html, that will load the external file (quickreply.html for instance). If the themes you are using follow the Olympus default stylesheet rules, you won't need to do anything else.

Not that this wasn't possible with the 2.0 template system, but it is a lot easier to do for MOD authors now.

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

You would still have to do it for each template. And you would have to pray that most template makers are sane and write similar templates. The situation is not as bad, me and a few of my friends made... Solutions to that problem.

dhn

Post by dhn »

dmaj007 wrote: You would still have to do it for each template. And you would have to pray that most template makers are sane and write similar templates. The situation is not as bad, me and a few of my friends made... Solutions to that problem.
With 2.0 we experience that most template designers are basing their styles on the default subSilver. What we are doing to prevent the problem of multiple templates is to emphasize the theming aspect. The new styling system will encourage designers (who should have some knowledge of CSS) to concentrate on the stylesheet / theme and imageset alone. You will still be able to create and install other templates, but if you are serious about your MODs, we suggest to use only styles that are using the default template(s).

Fun fact 1: You could recreate almost all styles of the phpbb.com Styles demo simply with adjusting the theme and imageset, using the new default template - giving that you know your CSS. We will make sure to have enough documentation and help available to not make it too difficult.

Fun Fact 2: http://www.csszengarden.com/" target="_blank