The 2.2 styling system ... feedback

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
BenP

Re: The 2.2 styling system ... feedback

Post by BenP »

I'll answer to the best of my knowledge :)
Deadman2 wrote: why is phpbb 2.2 using HTML as the template files insted of .tpl or .php?
Some syntax highlighting editors didn't like .tpl files and didn't show syntax highlighting in .tpl files. Also, people are more familiar with a .html extension and are more likely to assoiciate it with templates than a .tpl extension.
Deadman2 wrote: also is there anyway for me to convert the html files to php? cause the html files wont show up in firefox only IE?
No. The way the templating system works, the files must be .html files
Deadman2 wrote: Also why does the admin section use php and not the overall styles?
Because in phpBB 2.0.x, people didn't change the admin templates (which was why it was done in the first place), therefore the [redundant] files are wasting disk space.
Deadman2 wrote: Anyways i love the whole ease of use with the styling system :D phpbb 2.2 is gonna be amazing :D
Yes, yes :P

Deadman2

Post by Deadman2 »

also is there anyway for me to convert the html files to php? cause the html files wont show up in firefox only IE?
No. The way the templating system works, the files must be .html files

that sucks :( now i cant use phpbb 2.2 caus when ever i try to see a html file on my server in Firefox it downloads the file and dosnt view it. But if i try with Internet Explorer it works :(

BenP

Post by BenP »

But you won't even need to see HTML files... the template engine will parse it all and you will never know the HTML files were there.

Deadman2

Post by Deadman2 »

yea but i cant see any images on the board caus the files are html.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

The images aren't HTML files.

bigbear

Post by bigbear »

A question for those who managed to install the CVS version... how clean is the code for the templates? The current subSilver template has some pretty redundant codes, styled   and so forth... most likely junk code created by early versions of Dreamweaver.

Less use of tables?

APTX

Post by APTX »

Installation is not required to view the template code.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

bigbear

Post by bigbear »

Much easier to install, play around, and then view source. :)
Unfortunately I failed to install. :(
Oh well, cest la vie

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

I've been having a little trouble installing... I'll figure it out eventually. ^_^

Actually, Olympus isn't any easier or harder to install, it's just the same as if it were 2.0.XX, just a slightly different look.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

JoshHendo

Post by JoshHendo »

I must say that i do not like the cacheing system. It makes it very hard when updating your template ;). Is there a reason for this new system?