BUG? Deletes code on languages and templates that does exist

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
M.O.B.

BUG? Deletes code on languages and templates that does exist

Post by M.O.B. »

I recently upgraded to EasyMOD .03.0 Beta. I think I found a bug (sorry if it has been reported already).

When installing a hack with EasyMOD and it can't find certain code in languages or templates, but it still allows you to go through the installation, when you do, it will also wipe-out the code (that it couldn't find in other languages or templates) in the files that did have the code.

Can you guys please test this and then go and look at the files it edited to see if this is happening? Please let me know if you have any questions. I am just trying to help.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: BUG? Deletes code on languages and templates that does exist

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

DJ Andre wrote:I recently upgraded to EasyMOD .03.0 Beta. I think I found a bug (sorry if it has been reported already).

When installing a hack with EasyMOD and it can't find certain code in languages or templates, but it still allows you to go through the installation, when you do, it will also wipe-out the code (that it couldn't find in other languages or templates) in the files that did have the code.

Can you guys please test this and then go and look at the files it edited to see if this is happening? Please let me know if you have any questions. I am just trying to help.
that does not happen. I have installed this hundreds of times with many, many different languages and styles and have never seen it.

can you explain in detail what you did and why you think it has deleted some of your code.

there isn't even any way for easymod to delete anything . there is nowhere in it's code that allows that.

it can replace certain bits of code with other bits of code, but then that would not be what you are describing.

robert

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

Please test it. What I did was I run a hack, it couldn't find the exact code in the Spanish language. So I let it go through the installation (I thought to myself, I will later add that code to the Spanish language myslef). I then noticed that the code it couldn't find in the Spanish language was also deleted in the English language--it did add the english code, but it wiped out the code that it couldn't find in the Spanish Language.

The reason why I stumbled upon it, is that I started to notice missing text on my site. This is the first time I run a board with two languages, so this is why I've never noticed this before. Please run a test. Allow it to continue with the hack, even though it can't find the code in the other templates or other languages. Then go see if you can find the code that it was originially looking for in the languages or templates that did have the code. And I am referring to code that wasn't replaced, but for instance (FIND) then (Before or After ADD) and etc. It will wipe out the (FIND) code that it can't find in the other languages. It's very weird!

Lumpy Burgertushie

DJ Andre wrote:Please test it. What I did was I run a hack, it couldn't find the exact code in the Spanish language. So I let it go through the installation (I thought to myself, I will later add that code to the Spanish language myslef). I then noticed that the code it couldn't find in the Spanish language was also deleted in the English language--it did add the english code, but it wiped out the code that it couldn't find in the Spanish Language.

The reason why I stumbled upon it, is that I started to notice missing text on my site. This is the first time I run a board with two languages, so this is why I've never noticed this before. Please run a test. Allow it to continue with the hack, even though it can't find the code in the other templates or other languages. Then go see if you can find the code that it was originially looking for in the languages or templates that did have the code. And I am referring to code that wasn't replaced, but for instance (FIND) then (Before or After ADD) and etc. It will wipe out the (FIND) code that it can't find in the other languages. It's very weird!
sorry, but I think this is something that you are causing some how. I don't see how easymod could possibly do what you are suggesting. The code to make it happen simply is not there.

robert

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

Could you please test it, for the sake of seeing if it's an actual bug or not? This is the whole purpose of my report, to see if you guys can see the bug (when you actually bench test my report).

When I report bugs when I beta test programs, we don't go into depth as to why is shouldn't work that way, we have a group of people that test the bug and then report on what they discovered, and if more people see this issue, then they tag it as a bug and it gets worked on.

Lumpy Burgertushie

DJ Andre wrote:Could you please test it, for the sake of seeing if it's an actual bug or not? This is the whole purpose of my report, to see if you guys can see the bug (when you actually bench test my report).

When I report bugs when I beta test programs, we don't go into depth as to why is shouldn't work that way, we have a group of people that test the bug and then report on what they discovered, and if more people see this issue, then they tag it as a bug and it gets worked on.
that is what I am trying to tell you. I have tested it in the past. YOu can't install and use this as many times as I have without running into this if it was reproducible.

And I once again say that there is no code in easymod that I can find that could possibly delete anything from anything.

there is no "delete" function, there is no "erase" function. The closest thing is the "replace with" function. However, that would not do what you have described.

SO, I don't know what to tell you or where to go from here.

robert

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:that is what I am trying to tell you. I have tested it in the past. YOu can't install and use this as many times as I have without running into this if it was reproducible.
I understand, but I'd like for you to test it right now, with a hack that requires the language to be changed (not added after "That's all folks"). Find a simple hack that needs to modify a language code, but it can't find it in your Spanish or other languages (because it's written in a foreign language). Proceed with the installation with EasyMOD, then go to the English language, and find the code it was trying to find (not add), see if you can find it. I bet you a dollar you won't find it.

To further prove my point with this bug (since I have tested it again just a few minutes ago). I have created an install that will require you to make a modification in the language/lang_english/lang_main.php. You will need to do this in order to get the results from this bug check:

Here is the install.txt for this bug check: click here
  1. Be sure you are testing this in a forum where you have more than one language installed on your board (English and another).
  2. Then proceed in running this install with Easymod 0.3.0
  3. Then when you get the error that it can't find it in your other foreign language, go ahead and click on Next Step.
  4. After the installation was processed, go find your language/lang_english/lang_main.php and try to find the code that it was trying to FIND--you should see that they no longer exist. You'll see the code that was added before those three codes it was trying to FIND, but those three codes in the install have vanished.
Forgot to tell you that you can then run the EasyMOD restore to get your lang file back to normal. -- That works great! Nice job guys!!

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

I want to be sure you read what I added above, please read the reply above this one.. I provide an instruction code for you to process in EasyMOD to benchtest this bug.