Installing Security Question MOD by beginner

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
rockinrick

Installing Security Question MOD by beginner

Post by rockinrick »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and new to MOD's. I set up my phpbb forum with Fantastico, and updated to 2.0.23 with an ftp.
I'd like to add a security question to the registration page to help stop spamming, but I'm at a complete loss on how to do this. I was on the phpbb forum, and their answers were completly over my head.

Can someone explain how I can add a security question to my boards. I'm great with html, Photoshop and Flash, but over my head here. Please keep it easy to understand! LOL

Many thanks,
Rick
Last edited by stickerboy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Installing MODs with EasyMOD

rockinrick

Re: Installing Security Question MOD by beginner

Post by rockinrick »

OK! I've installed Easymod! w how do I install he secuity queston MOD? I created the mod folder in the admin folder.
I uploaded the contrib folder into the MOD's folder. What am I doing wrong? The MOD listing is now in the admin
section when I login as administrator. What do I do next?

Lost as usual,
Rick

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what contrib folder?

the best and easiest MOD for this is called the RAC MOD.

YOu don't install it using easymod, you just make a couple of edits to three files and you are done.

RAC MOD

you choose a special word or phrase for the special code.

you decide where you want to put it so that real people can finde it. ( I put it right on the registration page. ) then you edit the usercp_register.php file with that word ( it shows you where to do it ) you then edit the language/lang_main.php file and put that word or the dircections on where to find the word in the lang file. ( it tells you exactly how to do this )

then you edit the profile_body.tpl file of your style, to put in the new required blank for people to fill in.

that's it, you are done.
no more spam bots.

robert

rockinrick

Post by rockinrick »

Thanks for the reply Lumpy!
I think this may be over my head. People telling me to install EasyMOD, others RacMOD. What is the simplest way to get a security question on my registration page? Please remember, I've never dealt with these types of files before.

Many thanks,
Rick