ok, I have seen it happen too many times

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Ptirhiik

Re: ok, I have seen it happen too many times

Post by Ptirhiik »

No, much more a in-line replace mis-spelled in the mod description, so which is readen as a basic replace, which is not disturbing for subSilver but would be on other template.

ie :
- on subsilver, a var is alone on a line, the mod says find it, replace it
- on other template, the line is longer with some presentation behind, the find finds the whole line (partial search), the replace the whole line, according to what the mod says. Unfortunatly, nothing should stands after this var, according to subSilver requirement.

This is not an issue, nor a bug.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Heh I stand corrected. Once again we end up at that EMC documentation... *SS* poor Nuttzy & MODs Team 8)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Not really an issue with the EMC or what it should be : in the case mentioned, I will say there is no other way ie to change this var than using a replace, because it is the right instruction to use there (meaning, you have to change a tpl var {FOO1} with {FOO2}). As it is supposed to stand alone on the line, having FIND, then REPLACE WITH will be the perfect way to handle this.

The problem is : a different template is a huge mod (more than 150 files !), and most of users ignore this point. I would say, if you plan to install mods on your board, never install another template than subSilver, as long as you aren't very comfortable with phpbb templating system. You can have really good results with very slight modification to subSilver (removing all height qualifications, removing all path qualification and using the .cfg images def in place, removing all <style></style> definition in tpl file, and using only the CSS file).

MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

so basically what your saying is that easymod does not work on anything besides subsilver and that it attempting to modify those files and truncating them is ok?

If thats the case remind me to uninstall easymod and go back to doing things the right way, at least when I screwed up I knew who to blame and I also had a good idea where to look. With easymod, you have to double check its work or you will be in for a fun time. If I have to check its work to make sure it did what it was supposed to, then I say scrap it and do the mod by hand, it is not saving me that much time. Actually it is costing me time because I waste time on making it work with easymod only to end up having to check everything anyway.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

No : what I'm saying is that many template are writen in a way that make them too different from subSilver. As all the mods are written for subSilver, these templates just can't be modified as the mod author wrote the mod, so easymod won't be able to modify them, and will result in hasardous files. Choosing a completly different template means that you have to be able to modify it by hand, that's all :).

To give you an example of what can be done using only different CSS for subSilver : here, here, and here (sorry, the board is in french). The three templates are subSilver with very slight modifications (those mentioned above).

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

MrStormyNights wrote:so basically what your saying is that easymod does not work on anything besides subsilver and that it attempting to modify those files and truncating them is ok?

If thats the case remind me to uninstall easymod and go back to doing things the right way, at least when I screwed up I knew who to blame and I also had a good idea where to look. With easymod, you have to double check its work or you will be in for a fun time. If I have to check its work to make sure it did what it was supposed to, then I say scrap it and do the mod by hand, it is not saving me that much time. Actually it is costing me time because I waste time on making it work with easymod only to end up having to check everything anyway.
Hence the reason it's still in Alpha stage.... :roll: