Outlining a New Theme

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Outlining a New Theme

Post by hanakin »

Creating a new theme for phpBB is a daunting task especially given the small number of individuals on the team and the fact that most of us have day jobs.

In order to help drive this thing and generate community involvement both in discussions and development, I wanted to put together a sort of outline of what we need to help steer the individual topics as well as provide a sort of table of contents for reference and ultimately a checklist/progression chart.

Before we start let me preface how this is laid out for better understanding.

There are four main stages or areas of focus each with their own sub task. They are listed in order of requirement/workload.
  1. StyleGuide ( GUI for editing, maintaining & documenting themes )
  2. Themes Code
  3. Themes Design
  4. Any Core Improvements/fixes
Each task/subtask should have its own dedicated discussion thread to avoid confusion

sub task will be defined and added/linked appropriately as we progress.

This should also allow for community involvement with the actual development in an easier to follow manner

KEY
❓ Have not started working on it or still in discussion

🚧 Working on it, still in progress

⌛ Needs reviewed/discussed

✅ Merged or completed

[status] [disscussion link] [pull-request]

EXP: 🚧 How to handle icons (#ticket-18273)

PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD RELATED TO IMPROVING, CHANGING OR UPDATING THE LIST ONLY

1. StyleGuide
  2. Theme Code
  3. Design
  4. Core Changes
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Meis2M

Re: Outlining a New Theme

Post by Meis2M »

Hello any news !

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Sorry have not been keeping this up to date as things have gone through so many changes since I created this. Also it takes time away from working on it to main the post. I have been working hard to get more and more components out. And internally we discussed some ways to speed up the development of everything we just need to handle some logistics of it. Look for more information on .com

Ger

Post by Ger »

From the JS topic:
hanakin wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 amIf you are familiar with the progress of the new theme you will know that I am wrote from scratch our own custom framework for handling the CSS.
And here:
hanakin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm Look for more information on .com
I have looked, but really I cannot find anything indicating a status, some code, some docs, nothing. Not on Area51, not on .com, not even on Github. This was supposed to be implemented in 3.3 at some point, but is it still? Nobody seems to know.

If someone is interesting in assisting in any way, any motivation would probably vanish in the search for a starting point. Some people (like me) know you are the one doing all the work and that's really appreciated, but I doubt anybody except some elite team members has a clue about the status or the direction. Some regulars even make jokes about this thing being here in about 5 years, or perhaps 5 years after that. But for all I know, you may have finished the whole thing for 99%...

TL;DR: where can we follow the development?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

If i understand it correctly, it is based/default on the framework that is located in hanakin github repo?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Yes and the codepen more can be found in this topic viewtopic.php?f=131&t=50326

Not sure where the second quote came from but it’s sort of out of context. Essentially we are working on some formal posts and announcements that will be coming to .com in the next couple months.

Ger

Post by Ger »

I see, it's base-l? I've looked at your Github repo's but didn't recognize it as having anything to do with phpBB. Seems like a starting point.

hanakin wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:40 pm Not sure where the second quote came from but it’s sort of out of context.
The post right above my previous, from last December.
Essentially we are working on some formal posts and announcements that will be coming to .com in the next couple months.
Looking forward!
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.