Feature Request – Incorporate Elasticsearch search backend into core

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Lady_G

Feature Request – Incorporate Elasticsearch search backend into core

Post by Lady_G »

Please add Elasticsearch to the search backend core code.

My board has been using phpBB since 2.x with a postgreSQL database.

We have grown frustrated with the limitations and problems encountered with the phpBB native and postgreSQL search backends.

We have recently changed to the Sphinx search backend, but are concerned over the long-term support. The source code is proprietary and is no longer maintained. It has been nearly two years since the last release.

The main system administrator is a long-time UNIX contributor with considerable database experience. He highly recommends implementing Elasticsearch into core. In addition to being open source, Elasticsearch is popular and well-supported.

I also understand that we would be able to perform database metrics not possible with the current search backends. (I am not a database expert - I am repeating information that was told to me.)

Officially, phpBB 3.x is feature frozen. I’m therefore making this request in the phpBB 4.0 forum. Given the open-ended release date for phpBB 4.0, I respectfully suggest this feature be implemented in phpBB 3.x.

P_I is familiar with my board and has provided the motivation for me to submit this request.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Re: Feature Request – Incorporate Elasticsearch search backend into core

Post by Paul »

You should post feature requests in the ideas forium on phpbb.com.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Yes, but a private discussion with P_I recommended posting the request here.

As stated in Development Processes, either location is acceptable.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

you should start with ideas and link it to the discussion here to discuss the technical details.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Thank you, I have submitted the idea: Add Elasticsearch search backend into core